Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
The way lots of these servos are setup is as convenience stores and food outlets. So charging stations where dwell time is increased will not be a bad thing for them. People will have to wait while charging, might as well get them spending.
OTR had drive through convenience stores for about a decade around 2005-2015, basically servo prices and convenience without the petrol. You drove in, they'd come to the window you'd tell them what you want like a bottle o (coffee, pies, drinks, food, smokes etc) without even getting out the car. Which at the time I believe was a world first.

I find myself going to OTR when I need milk or something and forgot for my morning coffee over going to the supermarket, it's quicker even though it's more expensive and people like me wanting convenience is what they prey on as they have replaced the traditional deli/milk bar/corner store (replaced/killed off same, same). I don't want to go into woolies/coles and have to find a park and deal with the crowds for a bottle of milk etc.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I find myself going to OTR when I need milk or something and forgot for my morning coffee over going to the supermarket, it's quicker even though it's more expensive.
And for the most common items we need each day his prices are not a lot more expensive than other outlets. And if you're in a rush you don't mind paying an extra 10%-15% knowing you don't have to line up at Coles and you don't end up grabbing seven other things you could do without regardless, because you see biscuits, bars or chips are half price. :)

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
And for the most common items we need each day his prices are not a lot more expensive than other outlets. And if you're in a rush you don't mind paying an extra 10%-15% knowing you don't have to line up at Coles and end up grabbing seven other things you could do without regardless, because you see biscuits, bars or chips are half price. :)
exactly, my time is more valulable to me than saving $1.00 on a 2L milk :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It’d be an interesting business to be in. If the dates hold, in 2050 it’ll be worth next to nothing as the market for fossil fuels will be next to zero. That’s only 26 years away, so interpolating, and assuming a linear drop off, in about 1/2 that (say 13 years, 2037) it would be worth about 1/2 what it is today. I’m not sure that I’d want to be holding on the petrol station assets for too much longer without some sort of long term plan in place.

It’ll be interesting to see if the present petrol stations ‘transition’ to become charging stations, or if they get replaced by a different operator all together. I can see some potential issues with fast-charging and pumping hydrocarbons in close proximity!
You make it sound like come 2050, you'll never get any form of fossil fuels....

I can see them having charging points in the servo and other forms of fuel available that become more main stream in the coming years

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
You make it sound like come 2050, you'll never get any form of fossil fuels....

I can see them having charging points in the servo and other forms of fuel available that become more main stream in the coming years

I think I used the term ‘next to zero’ which was allowing for the possibility of some fossil fuels.

The other thing is that EVs are quite different to ICE cars, and the recharging is quite different too. So, we can sometimes fall in to the mindset that petrol bowsers just get replaced with charging stations. But that’s not the case at all. Many people will recharge at home most of the time, so the need to visit a recharging station will diminish. People will mostly ‘refuel’ at home - something that isn’t in the practical realm for ICE cars. So, the need for the equivalent of petrol stations (aka recharging stations) in the built up areas might actually diminish?

However, the situation is somewhat different outside the built up areas. I can see the need for very large (or a very large number of) charging stations along the highways between capital cities. This is where there will be a demand for fast recharging, and there will probably be a lot of customers. So, instead of a 10 minute refuel and a wee (as in the case of a ICE car), it could easily become the ‘lunch stop’ and recharge for an EV. So, instead of being a 10-minute stop, it could be a 90-minute stop, but with about 10x the number of people waiting for their recharge to finish. So, I could see the traditional highway petrol station being replaced with recharging station that is 10x larger.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It’d be an interesting business to be in. If the dates hold, in 2050 it’ll be worth next to nothing as the market for fossil fuels will be next to zero. That’s only 26 years away, so interpolating, and assuming a linear drop off, in about 1/2 that (say 13 years, 2037) it would be worth about 1/2 what it is today. I’m not sure that I’d want to be holding on the petrol station assets for too much longer without some sort of long term plan in place.

It’ll be interesting to see if the present petrol stations ‘transition’ to become charging stations, or if they get replaced by a different operator all together. I can see some potential issues with fast-charging and pumping hydrocarbons in close proximity!

Already happening at many servo's here in NZ, probably more so at servo's outside the main centres.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Realising today I didn't have the right cable to do a task.
Micro USB to USB A.
So didn't do the task (it's a volunteer type thing I should note)
The Toolbags have everything under the sun in them normally.

Had another look at home.
Just found a few of those Micro USB to USB A Cables
*facepalm*

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I think I used the term ‘next to zero’ which was allowing for the possibility of some fossil fuels.

The other thing is that EVs are quite different to ICE cars, and the recharging is quite different too. So, we can sometimes fall in to the mindset that petrol bowsers just get replaced with charging stations. But that’s not the case at all. Many people will recharge at home most of the time, so the need to visit a recharging station will diminish. People will mostly ‘refuel’ at home - something that isn’t in the practical realm for ICE cars. So, the need for the equivalent of petrol stations (aka recharging stations) in the built up areas might actually diminish?

However, the situation is somewhat different outside the built up areas. I can see the need for very large (or a very large number of) charging stations along the highways between capital cities. This is where there will be a demand for fast recharging, and there will probably be a lot of customers. So, instead of a 10 minute refuel and a wee (as in the case of a ICE car), it could easily become the ‘lunch stop’ and recharge for an EV. So, instead of being a 10-minute stop, it could be a 90-minute stop, but with about 10x the number of people waiting for their recharge to finish. So, I could see the traditional highway petrol station being replaced with recharging station that is 10x larger.

I see it as them becoming charging stations and dispense fossil fuels and other forms of fuels that will become more environmently friendly....

Memory serves me right, they are experimenting with hydrogen as a fuel source....

I very much doubt they'll deminish...Currently I'm seeing an increase in servos, not a decrease. That's in and out of town

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I see it as them becoming charging stations and dispense fossil fuels and other forms of fuels that will become more environmently friendly....

Probably, just like I’m sure you could still buy hay for your horse today, that there will be some form of hydrocarbon fuel available. It’s really a question of what and how expensive it will be. But I’m pretty confident that it is unlikely be ‘fossil fuel’, but rather it could be a manmade substitute (produced using some form of renewable energy).

My main point is that we need to think outside the square. Just like mobile phones didn’t exactly replace the landline, EVs won’t exactly replace the ICE car. Some things will be quite different. Much the same, but different.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
the same idiots trying to keep fossil fuels alive will be plugging renewables. it's only when they decide it's time to make the investment switch that we will see any real push.