Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Farmers have received notice to commence conversion to bio-diesel in the next 5 years. No reason ICE cars can't jump onto corn-fed juice.

We can only see how the next 10 years plays out. This whole green approach is seriously bullshit. It's all about dollars not environmental. You get taxed and carbon counted on fuel useage and wastage, but no credits on trees, grass and crops

Gas wouldn't be phased out from servos.
It's just half assed

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not sure how they plan to run ships, big boats and aircraft. Going to need a lot of bio fuel to run those. Plus I guess the price of flights, freight and ferries will go up when the big switch occurs?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Not sure how they plan to run ships, big boats and aircraft. Going to need a lot of bio fuel to run those. Plus I guess the price of flights, freight and ferries will go up when the big switch occurs?

‘The big switch’? I don’t think that it’ll be a sudden change over, but rather a progressive transition. A bit like how we changed from using landline phone to mobile phones. It wasn’t a ‘switch’ but rather a stead uptake of the newer technology. Some will be ‘early adopters’, some will go with the flow, and some will never change (just as you can still have a landline if you wish).

The big difference is that ‘net zero’ is being driven by a need rather than by a technology change.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
‘The big switch’? I don’t think that it’ll be a sudden change over, but rather a progressive transition. A bit like how we changed from using landline phone to mobile phones. It wasn’t a ‘switch’ but rather a stead uptake of the newer technology. Some will be ‘early adopters’, some will go with the flow, and some will never change (just as you can still have a landline if you wish).

The big difference is that ‘net zero’ is being driven by a need rather than by a technology change.
So a fairly steady increase on flights, freight and ferries? That will be interesting in years to come when whoever is in power wants to control inflation.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The big switch? more like the big con.

There is nothing that has been proposed that is 100% solid wrt saving the environment. Nothing.

Unless the carbon based infestation that is the human race is addresses in some way, it’s a certainty we will eventually consume everything on the third ball from the sun no matter the technology we use to scurry about.

In essence we are like locusts and though we may buy some time by being “green”, saving the environment is a fantasy considering our unbridled population growth. Saving the environment is the con job where our industrial overloads and the wealthy place themselves in the best position to reap all monetary rewards (while we get screwed wrt quality of life issues).

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
So a fairly steady increase on flights, freight and ferries? That will be interesting in years to come when whoever is in power wants to control inflation.

Yep, I think it‘ll be a ‘fairly steady increase’.

What’s the alternative? ’Business as usual’ until a certain date then all switch over? It didn’t happen with the horse-to-car transition, nor did it happen with a landline-to-mobile-phone changeover. The changes will come, but not overnight. Actually, it's happening now,

And regarding the ‘inflation’ comment just about everyone now has a mobile phone, even though they could just use a (IP) landline instead which would be cheaper. Cost doesn’t drive everything. The early adopters (who have the money to buy EVs) are saving lots of money on their ‘fuel’ costs.

But I do find it humorous when some politicians talk about having to delay and take our time with the energy transition (and do another review) so as not to ‘damage the economy’. All the while, that delay is damaging our economy. Why try and deceive people that climate change is just a temporary thing, and if they ‘vote for them’ it’ll somehow all go away. Australia is a major exporter of coal, and our economy benefits economically from those exports. But in 26 years, the income from coal will be (next to) zero. So, you we continue with business as usual and hope of the best, or do we acknowledge the upcoming changes and start adapting? I know which is best for the economy.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah but what I'm saying is the cost of freight will increase dramatically over a few years when the price of diesel reaches $5+ a litre. Air fares well I won't be flying but there will no longer be budget flights like we have now, when jet fuel reaches $5+ per litre. We saw a few years ago when airlines added fuel levies to ticket prices and petrol only went up by 30cpl or something minor compared to what we will see in another 20 years. There's simply no way bio fuel could be made at even close to what we pay now. AFAIK they haven't talked about how planes will run, and although battery powered ships could be a thing the distances they need to travel to reach our shores it would be one hell of a big battery. I guess ships and boats could use bio as well but 12,000 litres each way of bio on the Spirit going to increase inflation, so imagine a ship from China. It will be interesting to see if we see a move back to local manufacturing because imports will be crazy expensive for shipping alone. I don't know where it will all work out but I assume the Government's have plans for the massive inflation we will see once crude is no longer in use like it is now. One thing it might do is get Government's to again cost up and see if the Bass Strait bridge could be a viable alternative to the Spirit. They costed it up 25-30 years ago so it could be something China invests in.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
And yes running an electric car will be cheaper on fuel, but when the Government loses billions in taxes they will find a way to claw those funds back by adding some other sort of vehicle tax. I think you will find the only ones who will benefit from battery cars are those who buy them while petrol cars are still dominant. Once the major shift occurs EVs will not be as cheap to run. But in reality by that time I doubt I will be able to drive anymore and will probably rely on public transport.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Once the major shift occurs EVs will not be as cheap to run. But in reality by that time I doubt I will be able to drive anymore and will probably rely on public transport.
Yeah ............ By the time all this happens, petrol will be worth 1,000 bitcoins per litre, my present cars will be worth nothing, I will either be dead or not know who I am, Putin will be the previous Emperor of the Greater Ruins Ashpile, so nothing to be concerned about.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Yeah ............, my present cars will be worth nothing,
I have noticed over the past few months a lot of older cars as in commodores vn to ve on market place.
Talking to a bloke buying stuff off me on Friday and he tells me his LC 2 door with 308 was worth $100000 but now $80000
and I know you can take that with a grain of salt but there are still a lot of cars coming down in price.
Of course there will always be those who try to get $6000 for a $2000 car