Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Perhaps it had a Chev badge on the bonnet. Makes a big difference.
Ahhh, yes, that would explain it. Probably has one on the tailgate too.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I swear, AFL attracts the biggest imbeciles.
Driving past Optus stadium last night (Freo Dockers game) & at one of the intersections (with lights, mind you), the lane to turn right is blocked, complete with barriers & witches hats. There's also a mobile sign clearly indicating to drivers 'no right turn' is allowed. Do you think this stops morons trying to turn right from the right lane of a double lane road, thus blocking traffic that's travelling straight? Nope.
That's nothing to do with AFL, that's just majority of road users.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Another day and more drama. I don’t know what mirror I broke or which goblin I pissed off, but the disaster train keeps going around here.

Just got a call from daughter. Car crash :(o_O

Daughter’s boyfriend has binned his car off a hill on a bend. I don’t know the story of how as yet. It’s lovely that my kids think that beard and I can fix/rescue anything, but there really are limits.

I do not envy the conversation he will have with my daughter when he turns up next :eek:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Shahins sold OTR to Viva and then became a Viva shareholder.

So they are still in the game, instead of owning a huge amount of SA servos and few interstate they now part own hundreds of servos all over the country.
Yep, it was actually a very good power move.

Shahin sold out and then became a very large shareholder in Viva so the expansion of his business still brings him in revenue when it goes national. Which if you look at a national market compared to his small current market, even if he was say a 30% shareholder he'd still get a better return than owning the 70% or so of the SA market that he did.

It had nothing to do with getting out of the game, it was a strategic ticket to go national and profit even further as Viva already had a foothold nationally and was his ticket to do what he'd always wanted which was OTR in every corner of the country.

Last edited:

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
And yet Viva dont exactly use that name in Aus other than at the Refinery and on Aviation stuff.
They chose not to, from my understanding, because most people had no idea who they were (massive overseas though)

Still remember when Viva officially took over the Shell Aviation stuff, those guys were run off their feet changing stickers and sign boards in the 1 night they had.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Yep, it was actually a very good power move.

Shahin sold out and then became a very large shareholder in Viva so the expansion of his business still brings him in revenue when it goes national. Which if you look at a national market compared to his small current market, even if he was say a 30% shareholder he'd still get a better return than owning the 70% or so of the SA market that he did.

It had nothing to do with getting out of the game, it was a strategic ticket to go national and profit even further as Viva already had a foothold nationally and was his ticket to do what he'd always wanted which was OTR in every corner of the country.

It’d be an interesting business to be in. If the dates hold, in 2050 it’ll be worth next to nothing as the market for fossil fuels will be next to zero. That’s only 26 years away, so interpolating, and assuming a linear drop off, in about 1/2 that (say 13 years, 2037) it would be worth about 1/2 what it is today. I’m not sure that I’d want to be holding on the petrol station assets for too much longer without some sort of long term plan in place.

It’ll be interesting to see if the present petrol stations ‘transition’ to become charging stations, or if they get replaced by a different operator all together. I can see some potential issues with fast-charging and pumping hydrocarbons in close proximity!

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
The way lots of these servos are setup is as convenience stores and food outlets. So charging stations where dwell time is increased will not be a bad thing for them. People will have to wait while charging, might as well get them spending.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep, OTR's main push I'd think are selling food and not petrol. Petrol helps get them in the door where they buy lunch and a few other things. There will always be the need for 24hr food outlets. I think a decline in his petrol sales won't worry him too much as he will be making money from his convenience stores.

I know I'm looking forward to him re-branding some Coles outlets here in Launceston. I buy my lunch most days and the current offerings that are not too expensive are slim at best at the moment. Having said that he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get into the Tassie market.