Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing Front Door Trim on VN - VS

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
well i got myself a Pioneer DEH-2750mp

[ i know cheapie. ]

i had a gander though super cheap but their adaptor cable seems to be one that will run from say a system re-wire into a stock unit. was hoping somewhere would do a stock loom connecter into the back of my pioneer unit, just plug and play as it were.

also if i used a connecter screw down rack [you know the "strip" thing where you insert a bare wire in one side, screw it down, insert other spare wire into other side screw down] to wire my HU would i expect some bad sound quality?

-edit-

12Voltking? help? :p

Last edited:
S

surfie_guy1

VR Central locking actuator

It appears my central locking has died, not the entire system but just the master actuator in the drivers side front door.

So I've been reading on here how to remove the door trim...and am about to go out and buy a generic actuator from JayCar. Has anyone done this before, will a generic one fit/work/connect to the car, or do you need a genuine one?

I LIKE COMMODORES

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08.5 SV6
I find it easer to get a thin rag & slide it behind the winder & the clip will get caught on the rag.

B

BR377

yes as above ^ use some material like a shirt or rag it works everytime and takes 10 seconds!

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
a phillips and a flat head and a standard house key is all you need to get the trims off. if you poke your flatty into the lock clip and slightly pry it they just pop out (the bigger the better for that way) and a house key will fit nicley behind the window winder in order to pop out the jesus clip.

thats the bogans way :) ill definatley have to try the rag behind the winder trick next time thow

M

Moylance

surfie_guy1: What happened exactly? I've just bought a VR S1 Acclaim and the wireless remote doesn't work on the drivers door. Unlocks all the other doors though no problems.
Is that the problem you had and if so what did you do to fix it? Also my key doesn't really work until its fairly close up, I presume its the battery in the key? What can be done about this?

Last edited by a moderator:

sparra_gump

VP DRIVER
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive 3.8 sedan
Ah thanks for this, still had trouble with the lock but the window winder was fine.

Sparra_gump

killuminati

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Vacationer
fourstar82 said:
Would someone be able to post step by step pics for this, I'm having a little trouble with getting the bit around the door lock off. Would be very much appreciated!!! (car is a VS btw)

Andy ;)

I took my drivers side one off, but i didnt take pics, but today i took off passenger side trim, and i took pics, so when i can get on my own computer i can upload the pics and post em

killuminati

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Vacationer
Ok, i took these photos the other day, but i took them while putting the trim back on. Sorry about different size photos, dunno how the hell that happened :unsure:

Darren said:
Tools Needed
  • 250mm Shifter
  • Medium Sized Flat Head Screwdriver
  • Medium Sized Philips Head Screwdriver
  • O-Ring Pick or Some Other Hooked Object
  • Window Handle Remover

Other Material Needed
  • Rag or Cloth

Removing the door trim isn't as hard as it looks. I must admit I almost drove myself nuts the first time especially trying to get the window winder off but having done it many times since I reckon I can safely say I have almost perfected it.

Anyway on with the How-To :)
  1. Remove the door locking button - I find using an o-ring the easiest way in the world to accomplish this part. Insert the o-ring pick behind the red tab and gently pull back but not too much force otherwise it will break it and they do break very easily. I have found if you can get one side of the tab out that little bit further without breaking it the button will come off nicely otherwise attack it from the other side doing the same procedure and it will come off just as well. At times you may need to place a different object in the other side you aren't doing as they sometimes have a tendency to pop back in once you have a go at the other side.
    doortrim010.jpg

2. Behind the door lock button you will find a phillips head screw with a washer on it, simply remove it being careful not to drop it down into the door. Once done it should look like a metal rod with a thread on it, if so head on to the next step.
  3. Next is to try and get the metal clip off the window winder which can be easily removed by using a window winder remover tool available for about $2 or $3 from Super Cheap Auto Parts. If you prefer to do it the hard way use a hacksaw blade with some electrical tape around it so it doesn't damage the door trim and slide it into the small gap and push slowly until the clip flies off. I must warn you just about every time I do this they tend to very quick at springing off in different directions, just keep a close eye out for it.

Once the metal clip has come off simply grip the handle and bring it towards you and while your at it grab the spacer which usually sits behind the handle.

4. Now that the window winder has been removed it's time to remove the arm rest where the electrical mirror switch is. You will see like a plastic cover which is easily removed either using an o-ring pick or flat screwdriver. Once removed disconnect the electric mirror switch and remove the two phillipshead screws (one at the top and one at the bottom). Once done the arm rest should pull away without too much trouble.
    doortrim007.jpg

* The next four steps are only applicable to the VR - VS.

5. On the VS there are 3 phillipshead screws located on the bottom which have to be removed using a screwdriver.

6. Removing the heating/cooling ducts is as simple as removing the transfer vent which is 1 phillips head screw. The transfer vent can be tricky to get out but don't go using too much force as it may break.
    doortrim006.jpg

7. Now the next thing is to remove the vents, this can done with a flat screwdriver with a bit of cloth or rag wrapped around it to prevent any damage or at least minimise any damage as screw drivers can slip. Of course I use my favourite o-ring but use whatever you have access to. I have generally found you can get the left hand side out assuming your doing the drivers side. You have 2 lugs on each side of each vent so once one side is part way out either slide the screwdriver from the back to dislocate the other two or go from the front, I will leave that decision up to you.
    doortrim005.jpg

8. Once the vents have been removed you have a futher 4 phillips head screws to remove.
    doortrim004.jpg

9. Now the screws have been removed the outlet vent can be removed without too much trouble at all.
  10. That's it, now it's a case of slowly pulling the door trim to the opposite side of the car doing a little bit of a time ensuring the trim comes away fairly evenly otherwise the chances of damaging the plastic lugs is very high.
  11. Putting everything back together is reverse of what has been listed.

vs_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Wagon and VT Exec V6 Wagon
stevenfearne01 said:
another tip on how to remove the window winder. to easly remove the clip holding the window winder on. to save cash just grab a plastic bag slip the handel part of the bag in between the window winder and the spacer push down and rotate the bag. it pops off the clip easly.

worked a treat... except the handle ended up have way across the garage - rotate with care :embarrass