Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Discovered the Crewy’s fuel gauge isn’t reading properly- it had been reading about 3/4 which I thought was correct but wasn’t sure then when I started it again it went to full not happy Jan

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Is that for an opened bottle or a sealed bottle only, do you know?
The discussion was around sealed bottle sitting on a shelf and that the oil should last at least 5 years from when blended during manufacture and bottling. And it was further elaborated that after the 5 years, if there was no sediment on the bottom of the bottle, then the oil is still ok as all the additives are still in suspension.

We didn’t explicitly discuss shelving opened containers. But oil isn’t bottled in a dry nitrogen filled environment at the factory, so it does get exposed to some air and thus moisture during the bottling process. And as long as a bottle is opened and what’s left after the service is put in a smaller container, so the air within the bottle is minimised, then it’s really not going to go off quicker.

Really in one sense rebottling at home is just like what occurs during manufacturer when oil is poured/pumped from larger containers into smaller containers. So doing the same at home, the oil will continue to keep well for the remainder of the original shelf life …

And even if one doesn’t pour the leftovers into a smaller container, I doubt it would kill the remaining oil any quicker. After all, it’s the passage of time where suspended additives could settle that’s the issue and in service heat cycle and contamination from combustion that really kills oil. It’s not a few litres of air trapped in a bottle after opening and recapping that causes problems … heck I’ve even kept opened brake fluid bottles for years and not had issues (though I do use insulation tape around the bottle’s cap) ;)

Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I bought another column for my VC, as the inner shaft has decided have the sheer pin break....

So have started fitting it, only to break by stoplight switch and break some wiring in the engine bay

So I have spat the dummy and walked away before things get worse.....

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Trying to do an oil change.
Starting to Round the sump plug....
(I didn't do it up)

It's not a 19mm. It's not an 18mm.
It's not an 11/16 it's not a 3/4....
It's some stupid size that shouldn't exist....

May aswell buy a new one to replace it, but still...

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Trying to do an oil change.
Starting to Round the sump plug....
(I didn't do it up)

It's not a 19mm. It's not an 18mm.
It's not an 11/16 it's not a 3/4....
It's some stupid size that shouldn't exist....

May aswell buy a new one to replace it, but still...

Shits me to tears. I use a 15mm ring spanner on the sump plug of the SSV. It’s probably not that size but it works. I’m somewhat ambivalent because if Americans didn’t exist we wouldn’t have this problem but we wouldn’t have the LS engine either!

One thing the Japanese got right is only using even numbered metric fasteners up to and including 14mm and odd numbers after that. 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19 and 21mm will do nearly everything on a Japanese car.

When you‘re working on a GM car your fuked unless you have every single spanner and socket size in the universe (metric, AF and Whitworth). Gets fuking annoying having to crawl out from under the car half a dozen times just to find the right (closest fit) fuking spanner or socket to do the job.

*End rant*

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
thats why i have a good set of allen keys then i have a cheap set which usually fits when the good set dosnt, many things go that way as i got some work shoes to replace the exact same shoes but 5 years apart and in that time i had to get a size larger to fit then the previous shoe even tho both side by side are the same length :confused:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
My OEM sump plug and my LS1 is 15 mm and my Sidchrome and ToolPro sockets and spanners fit fine

Another tip is the sump bolt only needs 25nm, which isn't really alot if you have monkey fists, plus over tightening will kill the rubber seal over time

In saying this I purchased a new sump bolt when I first got the VX as the previous people who tightened it must have used the mantra of "tighten it until you nearly strip the tread"

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
In saying this I purchased a new sump bolt when I first got the VX as the previous people who tightened it must have used the mantra of "tighten it until you nearly strip the tread"

It's good that they tighten it to the next level. You know, tightening it until ‘it feels a bit funny’ then leave it and pretend that they didn’t notice.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Well I partially rounded some corners. It looked like it was a new sump bolt (requires a 19mm) so I'm unsure if something else has binded.

As a result I picked up a new sump bolt so we can go to town on the old one and rip it off.

Not using poor quality spanners either, have Sidchrome, Bahco, Sp, TTI, Gearwrench and a whole heap of other brands to see if it was that, so I'm assuming it's a bolt issue.

Am annoyed, but oh well.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well I partially rounded some corners. It looked like it was a new sump bolt (requires a 19mm) so I'm unsure if something else has binded.

As a result I picked up a new sump bolt so we can go to town on the old one and rip it off.

Not using poor quality spanners either, have Sidchrome, Bahco, Sp, TTI, Gearwrench and a whole heap of other brands to see if it was that, so I'm assuming it's a bolt issue.

Am annoyed, but oh well.
It's a relatively common problem people have on the Eco for some reason.