Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS ute question(s)

Damo16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute series 2
Can't seem to find anything related via search so creating a new post

My son was just gifted a vs ute from my brother in-law and is in need of a few questions answered.

Firstly the tailgate is noisy as and is quite loose. The strikers and catches are in the correct position as the panels line up when held against them - if I adjusted the catches the tailgate would sit too far in.
To me it looks like bump stops or seals of some kind are missing. Can anyone shed some light on this and or good quality pictures of the tailgate?

secondly he wants a double din head unit with apple car play. Searching I can only find its impossible due to the heater unit being behind there. But these newer head units are much slimmer than back in the day so unsure if they would fit or if the single din bodied units with the double din screen is his only real option.

thats about all I can think of for now.

thanks in advance

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Can't seem to find anything related via search so creating a new post

My son was just gifted a vs ute from my brother in-law and is in need of a few questions answered.

Firstly the tailgate is noisy as and is quite loose. The strikers and catches are in the correct position as the panels line up when held against them - if I adjusted the catches the tailgate would sit too far in.
To me it looks like bump stops or seals of some kind are missing. Can anyone shed some light on this and or good quality pictures of the tailgate?

secondly he wants a double din head unit with apple car play. Searching I can only find its impossible due to the heater unit being behind there. But these newer head units are much slimmer than back in the day so unsure if they would fit or if the single din bodied units with the double din screen is his only real option.

thats about all I can think of for now.

thanks in advance
We added a strip of adhesive foam to the tailgate to damp it. pretty easy fix that way.

I added double DIn in my old wagon (no photos) the surround is a hack job to fit, there are some people 3D printing them now for a better finish.

Double DIN I added was double DIN front with single DIN rear, this allowed it to fit in the space without cutting into the heater box.

Next time I am going for a single DIN flip out however for a neater finish.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The pinch weld seal on the tailgate should keep things quiet.
The strikers are easily adjusted.

As for the double din, it’s doable but requires some fabrication.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Double DIN facias

IMG_6571.jpeg

Damo16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute series 2
This is just an example but its a single din with double din screen. There would be cheaper options out there with a search.

https://www.bankstownsound.com.au/p...MI_9mg84TmhQMVQaVmAh03JAYvEAQYAyABEgLiWvD_BwE

View attachment 267384
Think around the $800 mark was as cheap as I could find for something like that. Been a long long time since I've seen behind the trim of a vs commodore so just can't remember the deal. Was hoping there was enough room for the newer 75mm deep units to actually fit with minimal mods other than the 3d printed surround

Damo16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute series 2
The pinch weld seal on the tailgate should keep things quiet.
The strikers are easily adjusted.

As for the double din, it’s doable but requires some fabrication.
Ahh at the moment this ute has no seal. Yeah know the strikers are easily done, but adjusting them will have the tailgate too far forward and would a) be out of alignment and b) rubbing on the body

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahh at the moment this ute has no seal. Yeah know the strikers are easily done, but adjusting them will have the tailgate too far forward and would a) be out of alignment and b) rubbing on the body
Which is why you need to put a pinch weld seal in and fix the problem. The seal goes on the body, over the seam.

Damo16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute series 2
Which is why you need to put a pinch weld seal in and fix the problem. The seal goes on the body, over the seam.
Yeah i understood that. As I said it has nothing and I couldn't find definitive answers for what should be there or where. Cheers