Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Redline Manual post attempted theft issue

runts32

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline 6.2 LS3 6 speed manual
@holes tried to knock off SSV a couple of weeks ago only to be disturbed by family member arriving home unexpectedly.

They had cut wiring to horn and covered tail and headlights with rags before forcing keylock on drivers door.

They were disturbed soon after and took off in another car.

When I got to the car the doors were all ajar and the car mats were all over the instrument lights, but nothing else appeared disturbed internally.

When doors were eventually closed, car locked itself.

Next day had to use mechanical key to unlock drivers door only. Car would not recognise key (nor spare) wirelessly. There was no green light in the Engine Start switch. When start attempted, driver display says key not detected or use the slot in the centre armrest. Still no luck.

Checked all fuses are present and fairly certain no wiring was disturbed internally.

The car appears to be latched in an alarm state or something has been fried somehow. Autoelec is puzzled.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
1711691554874.png

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
@holes tried to knock off SSV a couple of weeks ago only to be disturbed by family member arriving home unexpectedly.

They had cut wiring to horn and covered tail and headlights with rags before forcing keylock on drivers door.

They were disturbed soon after and took off in another car.

When I got to the car the doors were all ajar and the car mats were all over the instrument lights, but nothing else appeared disturbed internally.

When doors were eventually closed, car locked itself.

Next day had to use mechanical key to unlock drivers door only. Car would not recognise key (nor spare) wirelessly. There was no green light in the Engine Start switch. When start attempted, driver display says key not detected or use the slot in the centre armrest. Still no luck.

Checked all fuses are present and fairly certain no wiring was disturbed internally.

The car appears to be latched in an alarm state or something has been fried somehow. Autoelec is puzzled.

Anybody have any thoughts?

It sounds a bit like they were in the process of reprogramming another key and that they have removed your cars from the car’s security system.

I’m really just guessing, but after you have it repaired, make sure all the keys other than the ones you physically have on hand are removed from the security system in the car. i.e. don’t just have a new key reprogrammed, get any other keys deleted from the car as well.

Can I ask what suburb?

runts32

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the advice. Melb inner north west

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Now that experience would peeve me off no end :mad:

But wouldn’t an insurance claim sort out all the issues, obviously at the cost of making a claim and paying the excess. And from experience you’d still have to be across the repair.

Really I’d want a new loom rather than repairing cut wires as well as a new door lock which is correctly keyed to your existing key cut on top of sorting out all the vehicle‘s security programming, all of which won’t be cheap if done correctly.

Guess it depends on what your excess is, as some choose rather high excess cause cheaper premium, compared to what the repair costs are :rolleyes:

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Yep they were probably screwing around with the obd.
Get a locksmith out to reprogram your keys.

Most of the current vehicle security systems are useless, this is the type of thing they do now

runts32

Reaction score
Members Ride
Update! Had keys re-coded and existing keys removed from system - all is well again. $235 onsite. Thanks to all for advice.

Skylarking - with regard to using insurance, the company service was SO bad I cancelled the claim and am going to get the minor damage rectified myself. And it will likely cost the same as the excess.

So two lessons learnt. There are @holes everywhere and some of them are Insurance companies.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Update! Had keys re-coded and existing keys removed from system - all is well again. $235 onsite. Thanks to all for advice.

Skylarking - with regard to using insurance, the company service was SO bad I cancelled the claim and am going to get the minor damage rectified myself. And it will likely cost the same as the excess.

So two lessons learnt. There are @holes everywhere and some of them are Insurance companies.

keep in mind there will be a fair chance they will try again, after dealing with pricks like this pillaging mine site machinery they always return so you might want to invest in some sort of enhanced security for the vehicle.

runts32

Reaction score
Members Ride
keep in mind there will be a fair chance they will try again, after dealing with pricks like this pillaging mine site machinery they always return so you might want to invest in some sort of enhanced security for the vehicle.
I hear you...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Who was the insurer if you don't mind saying?