Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speedo corrector into VP Calais

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Hi all,

I purchased a Yellow Box speedo corrector and looking at where to install it. Also have a few questions that are probably common to speedo correctors. Was reading @Immortality's thread from 2007 which is excellent.

Have some of the centre console out. My Haynes manual reckons the wire from the speed sensor to speedometer is violet/white trace.

Questions:
  • Is the violet/white correct? The manual covers models from 1988 - 1996. Its tight in there and I can't really unwrap the loom or find the plug to test.
  • If it is violet/white, is it a constant colour all the way to the speedo? Might see if I can intersect it elsewhere if space too tight.
Thanks!

IMG_9192_2.JPG

IMG_9190_2.JPG

IMG_9191_2.JPG

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
pop the door thing where the fuses are under the steering column there should be a loom on the right heading to the cluster the purple/white will be in that as well thru a plug i think

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Thanks, took a peek this afternoon and I got a glimpse of it but it's too far buried in there.

I have traced the wire from next to the climate control down to a plug under the centre console, I'll probably need to remove the climate control and stereo surround to free things up a bit. Ugh, i'm paranoid about brittle plastics breaking! The shifter indicator with the PRDN etc has a crack in it so gotta be careful. I can't remove that white housing without removing the auto shifter knob and I'm not sure that's a battle I want to start.

At least if I can confirm that is the speedometer wire and the direction its heading it, I can split into an ignition switched source for the head unit and a ground is close by.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Normally done at steering column easiest way to tap into required wires & yes violet/white trace is dash speedo.

vn/p it comes up trans tunnel turns think there were 2 plugs one on tunnel another as it gets to firewall probably for man or auto configurations + inhibitor/reverse lights etc harness also has the divide by 5 thingy.

vr/s have vss to ecu then through dash harness so easiest to tap under column...different speedo signals