Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
There are two different ‘fill’ numbers. A ‘pan drop’ number which is the amount of oil needed to refill the transmission after dropping the pan. And there is a ‘total‘ number which is the fluid required to fill the system from dry. The torque converter itself holds quite a bit of oil and it isn’t drained when doing a ‘pan drop’.

There are some videos on the web showing how to set the correct level. See if you can find the one with the mechanic who is in a wheelchair. That’s a great video.
I've seen a few now. Drain screw till running out of I think. I put about 6 litres in to start.

Went for the 'Here we go! " and screen was black. Battery was disconnected lol. Connected and still screen black. A bit worried now so put a meter across the battery and dead as a doornail. Window shows black circle replace it and it's as black as the ace of spades... so guess it was on its 3ay and the rest killed it, I dunno, but got a garage battery which I'm tipping up now.

Found the plug for the sensor so everything I'd plugged in. Just off out to get some oil for the engine....

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
So put about 6.5ltrs of 5w-30 in. Went for this as $39 for 5ltrs..

Screenshot_20240419_143226_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240419_143037_Gallery.jpg

Not forgetting that it's....

Screenshot_20240419_143138_Gallery.jpg

Approved hey...lol

Ignition on - no warnings. Turn over and she spin and fired up straight away, but fark made a racket. Lifters or something tap tap tap.... didn't go away so left to idle for a min then gave some gentle revs, and was the same. Thought well go test it then, so drove the car round the block twice which is about a 2ks.

Good news - the tapping settled. Bloke I bought sommit off recency is a wrecker and he said when I pulled away he heard my lifters on on their way. I don't hear it at idle but he said you'll only hear it when engines under load.

Anyway, now bad news. Not so nice vibration around the 2500rpm mark and gets worse as rpm rises. It's not REAL bad, but not right and I don't like it. I only took her to 3000rpm but yeah it kinda kicks in around 2500 and the vibration rises as the rpm does. I could be imagining it but think it pretty much goes away when I roll in neutral but not 100% tbh, couldn't do it too much. Everything else felt as per normal tho... :)

So as I'm still not sure if my tailshalft is the right way round, and can't get the answer here, I'll go research it on google again. I've looked twice before and just want a diagram with it in situ but can I find it!!!!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes mate it's a no. I didn't have it so will pay for it in sure, you'll be happy then.
Contrary to your belief I was trying to help. I don't wish you ill-well at all. But I do fear you have made a mistake by not replacing it, as it will likely leak.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
So put about 6.5ltrs of 5w-30 in. Went for this as $39 for 5ltrs..

View attachment 266906View attachment 266905

Not forgetting that it's....

View attachment 266907

Approved hey...lol

Ignition on - no warnings. Turn over and she spin and fired up straight away, but fark made a racket. Lifters or something tap tap tap.... didn't go away so left to idle for a min then gave some gentle revs, and was the same. Thought well go test it then, so drove the car round the block twice which is about a 2ks.

Good news - the tapping settled. Bloke I bought sommit off recency is a wrecker and he said when I pulled away he heard my lifters on on their way. I don't hear it at idle but he said you'll only hear it when engines under load.

Anyway, now bad news. Not so nice vibration around the 2500rpm mark and gets worse as rpm rises. It's not REAL bad, but not right and I don't like it. I only took her to 3000rpm but yeah it kinda kicks in around 2500 and the vibration rises as the rpm does. I could be imagining it but think it pretty much goes away when I roll in neutral but not 100% tbh, couldn't do it too much. Everything else felt as per normal tho... :)

So as I'm still not sure if my tailshalft is the right way round, and can't get the answer here, I'll go research it on google again. I've looked twice before and just want a diagram with it in situ but can I find it!!!!

I suspect that the trick is to determine if it is an ‘engine speed’ or ‘road speed’ related vibration. If it is road speed, then look at the tailshaft. If it’s engine speed related, hmm, it might be that replacement torque converter?

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Contrary to your belief I was trying to help. I don't wish you ill-well at all. But I do fear you have made a mistake by not replacing it, as it will likely leak.
If it does, and as you say it probably will, I'll pull it all apart, kinda enjoyed doing it... :oops:

Don't spose you know anyone who knows which way a driveshaft faces do ya? Has an arrow but not sure if that arrow faces the engine or the drive direction. One piece is straight, the other has a can type of appearance.

I'm still searching for the illusive answer.... :rolleyes::D:p

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
I suspect that the trick is to determine if it is an ‘engine speed’ or ‘road speed’ related vibration. If it is road speed, then look at the tailshaft. If it’s engine speed related, hmm, it might be that replacement torque converter?
Yeah once I work out if my tails haft is the right way round or not I can move on. Don't spose you know anyone who knows which way a driveshaft faces do ya? Has an arrow but not sure if that arrow faces the engine or the drive direction. One piece is straight, the other has a can type of appearance.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it does, and as you say it probably will, I'll pull it all apart, kinda enjoyed doing it... :oops:

Don't spose you know anyone who knows which way a driveshaft faces do ya? Has an arrow but not sure if that arrow faces the engine or the drive direction. One piece is straight, the other has a can type of appearance.

I'm still searching for the illusive answer.... :rolleyes::D:p
I can look at mine in the next few days if you don't get an answer. It won't be today though, I don't think as I need to get the indicators swapped on the bike, before I play around putting cars on hoists.

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Def seemed this was the right way
I can look at mine in the next few days if you don't get an answer. It won't be today though, I don't think as I need to get the indicators swapped on the bike, before I play around putting cars on hoists.
Mine...
Screenshot_20240419_155105_Gallery.jpg

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I think it’s the right way. If it was front-to-back, it’d be sitting towards the other side.

From the manual, and your picture…

IMG_2796.jpeg

IMG_2797.jpeg

You might want to check if the rubber donuts are mounted correctly (if you removed them)?