Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Not sure if 'normal' or what...

Screenshot_20240419_102726_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240419_102852_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240419_102746_Gallery.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You're progressing along nicely though it does sound like it’s an effort without a hoist :cool: but you gotta watch out for those pesky connectors that try to run away or hide wherever they can:p

As a side thought I’d throw up a video on the 1/8” spacing between TC and flex plate in addition to my post above, cause I like videos :)

(I saw a much better video a long while ago but couldn't find it when I was looking the other day)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
At least you found some of your torque converter.
You’ll always get some crud on the magnet and on the bottom of the pan but for me the question is what is a normal amount of crud for a given mileage and what is a concerning amount?

I can’t answer that as I’ve not rebuild an auto trans :oops:

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
You're progressing along nicely though it does sound like it’s an effort without a hoist :cool: but you gotta watch out for those pesky connectors that try to run away or hide wherever they can:p

As a side thought I’d throw up a video on the 1/8” spacing between TC and flex plate in addition to my post above, cause I like videos :)

(I saw a much better video a long while ago but couldn't find it when I was looking the other day)
Yes NEVER again lol, altho I may be doing it again.

This 1/8th of an inch between FP and TC... :eek:

Are you telling me the FP should be loose and allowed to rattle?

I've tightened the 2 together with about 55nm of torque....

I might throw the towel for today., but can you answer this?

1/8th of an inch is about 3mm. The flex plate at a guess is 3 or 4mm so combined we have 6 or 7mm minimum, flex plate might be thinker, I dunno but this using my old TC and intact thread this bolt is just grabbing the thread. Any less and it falls out...

Screenshot_20240419_104646_Gallery.jpg

So 10mm minus our 6 or 7 doesn't leave much of the bolt into the thread...

Something isn't right here. Prob me but you guys know how a flex plate attaches to a TC. Are you leaving bolts with 3mm play?

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Found on a google search for flex plate torque...

Last 2 lines..
Screenshot_20240419_110052_Samsung Internet.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I might have missed it but did you replace that leaking input shaft seal before refitting the trans?
I assume this was a no?

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
I assume this was a no?
Yes mate it's a no. I didn't have it so will pay for it in sure, you'll be happy then.

How much oil does this TM hold. I got 2 bottles as was sure it was enough but Google reckons 12 to 13 stupid bloody quarts which equates to pretty much 12 to 13 litres of oil, I have 8...

Cant be right...

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
How much oil does this TM hold. I got 2 bottles as was sure it was enough but Google reckons 12 to 13 stupid bloody quarts which equates to pretty much 12 to 13 litres of oil, I have 8...

Cant be right...
It's OK Paul you read that wrong. I checked this forum and found the answer straight away. 6 to 7 litres and why you bought 2 x 4.

See, easy when you know how... ;)

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
It's OK Paul you read that wrong. I checked this forum and found the answer straight away. 6 to 7 litres and why you bought 2 x 4.

See, easy when you know how... ;)

There are two different ‘fill’ numbers. A ‘pan drop’ number which is the amount of oil needed to refill the transmission after dropping the pan. And there is a ‘total‘ number which is the fluid required to fill the system from dry. The torque converter itself holds quite a bit of oil and it isn’t drained when doing a ‘pan drop’.

There are some videos on the web showing how to set the correct level. See if you can find the one with the mechanic who is in a wheelchair. That’s a great video.