Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mods on my vt s1 v6 6 speed auto exe. wagon

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm impressed you managed to crack the steel part.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I finally worked out how to the airbag light off.

This is on a vf steering wheel conversion to the vt.

The vf airbag has to airbag plugs for it. I tried multible ways of wiring it up. All failed.

Then l tried 2012 Cruze airbag, it only has 1 plug for the airbag. To make things easier l used the Cruze airbag plug. Failure, no work.
To use this airbag l had to very carefully remove both airbags from their covers & fit the cruze airbag into the the vf cover.
Succeded there. Easy enough, but very nerve racking! Didn't want it going of in my face!

Week or to ago l was out in the shed looking at the oem vt - vz workshop manual. I've got 40" screen above the work bench. So, the diagrams are in your face.

Error code l was getting on the scanner was 19, capacitance to high. Always had this code. Didn't know what to do about. Manual says to replace the clockspring.

Anyway looking at the wiring diagram noticed a capacitor in the vt plug. There are no capacitors in the vf cruze airbag plugs.

The vt plug is much to big for the Cruze airbag. So, l filed it down till it did fit. Got rid of the ribbon cable. To easy to break. Soldered 2 plain wires same size as the existing ones for the vf clockspring.

Reassembled everything. Turned the ignition on. No sparking noises or airbags going of. So far so good.
Scanned it for error codes in the srs section, as expected got 19, but this time it was in history.
So, cleared the code, & all good no airbag light.

Absolutely stoked! 3 1/2 years this has p#ssed me of. The fix was easy.

Here's 2 pics with ignition on showing the airbag
20231005_092656[1].jpg
20231005_093017[1].jpg
light on (l haven't just pulled a globe), & with the engine running ( see the tacho, its idling).

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I finally worked out how to the airbag light off.

This is on a vf steering wheel conversion to the vt.

The vf airbag has to airbag plugs for it. I tried multible ways of wiring it up. All failed.

Then l tried 2012 Cruze airbag, it only has 1 plug for the airbag. To make things easier l used the Cruze airbag plug. Failure, no work.
To use this airbag l had to very carefully remove both airbags from their covers & fit the cruze airbag into the the vf cover.
Succeded there. Easy enough, but very nerve racking! Didn't want it going of in my face!

Week or to ago l was out in the shed looking at the oem vt - vz workshop manual. I've got 40" screen above the work bench. So, the diagrams are in your face.

Error code l was getting on the scanner was 19, capacitance to high. Always had this code. Didn't know what to do about. Manual says to replace the clockspring.

Anyway looking at the wiring diagram noticed a capacitor in the vt plug. There are no capacitors in the vf cruze airbag plugs.

The vt plug is much to big for the Cruze airbag. So, l filed it down till it did fit. Got rid of the ribbon cable. To easy to break. Soldered 2 plain wires same size as the existing ones for the vf clockspring.

Reassembled everything. Turned the ignition on. No sparking noises or airbags going of. So far so good.
Scanned it for error codes in the srs section, as expected got 19, but this time it was in history.
So, cleared the code, & all good no airbag light.

Absolutely stoked! 3 1/2 years this has p#ssed me of. The fix was easy.

Here's 2 pics with ignition on showing the airbag View attachment 258547View attachment 258548light on (l haven't just pulled a globe), & with the engine running ( see the tacho, its idling).

Your persistance with these modifications is next level....Not to mention your explanation.....So a big congrats

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Went & picked up the parts from the platers Friday. Bit of distance, not to much.
Coming home from the platers & the airbag light turned on again.

Scanned it, this time, low resistance, was in history, so just cleared it. Hasn't popped back up yet, but haven't done many clicks.

Thinking l'll have to get the soldering iron out again when it pops back again.
Think l'll put the multi meter on first, see if l can find the problem area?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Keep at it. You seem pretty good at nutting these things out. You've done a lot to that VT and succeeded that many would not even attempt.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Coming home from the platers & the airbag light turned on again.
Week later, exactly the same thing. Coming home from the platers & the airbag light poped back on.
This was expected, was waiting for the light to come back on, just before it did, l was thinking now, & it did come back on. :oops: Thinking it would but hoping it wouldnt.;)

Got home & scanned it. sometimes it couldn't connect with the srs. Sometimes could get the srs, but couldn't get the error codes.
It would fail. Communications issue?

Been noticing that first start for the day & it would stall. Other times like a flat battery?

Been thinking about these issues & wondered if connected?

Went out this morning & timed from unlocking. 30 seconds & the red mode light would come on.

In the past l've noticed if playing around with ignition key position (generally on reassembling the parts) because l couldn't turn the key on. It seemed unmovable, if you move it slightly, l could then turn the key. Wondered if same sort of thing? Didn't work. The mode light would come back on after 30 seconds.

What did work was disconnecting the abs connector under the bonnet.
Was now able to get into the srs system & clear the codes.

Connected the abs back up, started the motor, no airbag light.

This will come back for sure, will have to read the manual & wiring diagrams & try & find a permanent fix.

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
This will come back for sure, will have to read the manual & wiring diagrams & try & find a permanent fix
I didn't wait for the airbag light to come back on.

Tested a circuit. It seemed wrong. Cut the wires of. This was on the airbag plug. Still had the colours of the wires on it. Which where the right way.
De soldered them. Then resoldered. Tested, all good now.

There has been comms issues with bcm, pcm, basically all the the modules.

Tested red & black wire from the dlc (diagnostic connector, under the steering wheel) to the bcm (plug yb 175).
Wasn't sure l had the correct plug or wire? Was only going by colour. Later, when doing some more research found that l did have the correct plug & wire.

There was no connection, so packed up reassembled everything. Had shopping the next day. Didn't want to walk.

Went back to the platers yesterday. Yes 3rd time. First 2 times, on the return trip home the airbag light would come on.
This time all good. Yea! :)

Before going to the platers, went to the wreckers, an got another steering column. $20.00.
Only got it, as wanted the steering lock to work.

While there, asked the owner, about lpg direct injection (like the vf. Not the ve), about availability of the vf one. None.
He said any of the later models cars would be compatible.
He has one. Not sure what car its on. Have to go Monday & have a look?
Its the right price $200.00.

If l buy it, l wonder how long it'll take me to get it going, & signed of on?

Another thing l fixed during the week, the covers on the top of the rear seats. The clips on the back had broken off. I had plastic welded them back on. But wouldn't lock in place. So built up the face with weld & file the correct angle on it so would lock in place. Surprize surprize, it actually worked.

When l go to take them of again, they will probably break. When that happens, l'll worry about it then.