Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Meterbox questions.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
The amperage rating on A seems to be low for a main switch. Looks like it’s a 63 amp MCB but main switches should normally be rated for 80 amps or 100 amps, well the fuses we use here in Queensland normally are anyway.

63A for single phase in WA.
Pretty much the links I found in a few posts above.
The joys of all the states being different hey.

Those pics do help a bit.
That SPD meter fuse is from the readings now required to be a CB in WA
Definitely just a 63A CB which lines up with the WASIRs.

Best just to get Western Power to change it. Say it's faulty and will turn off without physically indicating an off.
No point getting anyone else to do it as I can tell you the meters are monitored and the Distro companies know when they loose power. Partially how they know when an area has lost power when they stop communicating (among many other things).

Am intrigued by the MCB instead of the fuses in WA though. Learn something new.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
63A for single phase in WA.
Pretty much the links I found in a few posts above.
The joys of all the states being different hey.

Those pics do help a bit.
That SPD meter fuse is from the readings now required to be a CB in WA
Definitely just a 63A CB which lines up with the WASIRs.

Best just to get Western Power to change it. Say it's faulty and will turn off without physically indicating an off.
No point getting anyone else to do it as I can tell you the meters are monitored and the Distro companies know when they loose power. Partially how they know when an area has lost power when they stop communicating (among many other things).

Am intrigued by the MCB instead of the fuses in WA though. Learn something new.
As in my circuit board?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
As in my circuit board?

Did you mean Circuit Breaker?
If so, Get Western Power to change it. Mention Nuisance Tripping as the issue and the Main Incoming CB isnt indicating Off (Defective unit)
If you want to read up more about it all click the wording below, Regs are free unlike Standards.
WA SIR's

The only slightly dumb comment I didnt think to ask. You aren't getting power outages in the area?
Power to the meter will be not on and the CB will still be in an on position.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you mean Circuit Breaker?
If so, Get Western Power to change it. Mention Nuisance Tripping as the issue and the Main Incoming CB isnt indicating Off (Defective unit)
If you want to read up more about it all click the wording below, Regs are free unlike Standards.
WA SIR's

The only slightly dumb comment I didnt think to ask. You aren't getting power outages in the area?
Power to the meter will be not on and the CB will still be in an on position.
Originally we thought it was everyone. The street Facebook page and neighbours activities confirmed it was just our house. Meter dead and all circuit breakers on. Also confirmed on Western Power’s (state owned power in WA) website.

This time, two months later, happens again. Confirmed other houses have power with website if any outages. Also confirmed power supply to other houses with street Facebook page.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
C) The panels in the switchboard are hinged and in another home I have C) is used as a handle/pull point to pull the board open rather than placing fingers/screwdrivers/pliers under or around the panel.
Not saying this is the case in your situation but ??

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
C) The panels in the switchboard are hinged and in another home I have C) is used as a handle/pull point to pull the board open rather than placing fingers/screwdrivers/pliers under or around the panel.
We will have a sparkie out soonish to do some other work. He will have the board open so will ask him some questions then.

I do recall the RCD switch panel (yellow panel) opens like a door. I remember watching what the dodgy sparkies were doing when they installed it a few years ago. The black board part does not. It’s screwed on.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Yup, ours opens like a door to so you can access the wiring behind the breakers and the neutral/earth bars and where the cables come in/out of the panel.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok. I have an answer from the sparky.

The screw marked C is simply from the old meter that had three mounting points. The new meter uses two of the old screw mounts. The old screw is left like that to block the hole and be used as a handy hook for the sparky.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Ok. I have an answer from the sparky.

The screw marked C is simply from the old meter that had three mounting points. The new meter uses two of the old screw mounts. The old screw is left like that to block the hole and be used as a handy hook for the sparky.
I knew there would be a logical answer:)