Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Conversion question

Abrudgvegej

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 ve
Just buy the car with the v8 manual first. Then get the supercharger or turbo.
If you go down this path, the car is worth it, for you, (because of the smile that gets put on your face everytime you drive it). BUT to sell it you probably won't get what you have put into it?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do? :cool:
Nah I really love the car, and it works for my family and dogs. Don’t plan on selling; I want to paint and I want abit more power, always wanted a ls3 just not sure if it will fit

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There are places that do the LS conversion. If wanting to V8 transplant then best get them to do the whole job. Otherwise I think Capa do an SC kit. Tuning wise you might be best to speak to Rev High. They might even offer an SC kit and tune package.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Nah I really love the car, and it works for my family and dogs. Don’t plan on selling; I want to paint and I want abit more power, always wanted a ls3 just not sure if it will fit
It will fit.
But with all the parts that will be needed, ( i don't know the actual price) it may cost $50,000.00.

To go to the the auctions & buy a wreck (that has all the parts that would be needed), may cost $10k to & $20k (again l don't know the actual cost)?

Then there's doing all the actual work. Tking all the running gear modules, wiring looms out of both cars & putting into yours.
Know idea how much that would cost?

Whats a new car car cost these days? & would it be a manual v8 with a supercharger or turbo on it?

I kinda think why not, But only if you think its worth it?

Do your home work!

Abrudgvegej

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 ve
It will fit.
But with all the parts that will be needed, ( i don't know the actual price) it may cost $50,000.00.

To go to the the auctions & buy a wreck (that has all the parts that would be needed), may cost $10k to & $20k (again l don't know the actual cost)?

Then there's doing all the actual work. Tking all the running gear modules, wiring looms out of both cars & putting into yours.
Know idea how much that would cost?

Whats a new car car cost these days? & would it be a manual v8 with a supercharger or turbo on it?

I kinda think why not, But only if you think its worth it?

Do your home work!
Sweet Thnkx !

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
How many new members on here, think it is, and ask the same question.
Most likely because they're unaware of the complexity of modern day vehicles or are not very familiar with the Commodore platform...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I’m asking if it’s worth it or would a turbo or supercharger be a better option because I know the car will be out of order for abit.
No it's not worth it in my eyes, as you will not get the same resale value down the track if you were to chuck a V8 in your SV6, vs just buying a factory fitted V8... Honestly, it's up to you as it's your money...

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
No it's not worth it in my eyes, as you will not get the same resale value down the track if you were to chuck a V8 in your SV6, vs just buying a factory fitted V8... Honestly, it's up to you as it's your money...

Yep, the problem with conversions is the huge amount of labour involved. Firstly there is the labour to remove the V6 componentry (essentially the whole drivetrain), then - if using a donor car - the labour to remove the whole V8 drivetrain, then the labour to refit the V8 drivetrain to the V6 body. It’s not an issue if it’s done as a hobby, or for the experience, or just as a DIY project.

The numbers don’t stack up when paying commercial labour rates, or when it comes to resale. Why would a buyer pay more for a conversion than buying another car with a factory fitted V8? The fact that a lot of labour has been expended doesn’t add value.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
A recent butthurt member with a certain 'Clubsport' (sic) may disagree with that. :D
To his credit, it was a V8 from the factory, though he would be the type of guy to ask V8 prices for a factory V6, swapped into a V8...

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Ove the years I have spent a bucket load of money, some good and a lot bad. Even for my lack of regard for money I would not do what OP is thinking of doing. Yes there is the love factor but you can still fall in love with a one that has all what you want to do already done.