Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Conversion question

Abrudgvegej

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 ve
I got a 2010 sv6 VE series 1
I was looking at converting to manual and chucking a supercharger maybe a turbo on but …..
If I could I’d prefer to chuck a LS3 in it, would it be possible and/or worth it, I know it will be pricey the question is is it possible or worth it?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Would cost 3x more than simply buying an SS that already has an LS in it.

It's not as simple as just swapping the engines over.

You need to swap:
* Engine
* Trans
* Fuel system
* Tailshaft
* ECU/TCM
* Code BCM to new ECU
* Engine and transmission wiring harnesses
* Cooling system
*All the accessories (Power steering, AC compressor, alternator etc).
* All the relevant brackets, mounts etc.

I'm probably forgetting heaps of other things.

The only semi-cost effective way to do it is to buy a wrecked donor vehicle you can swap everything over from, even then it's still a lot of work. VE's are not simple beasts. You'd still need someone with the right equipment to be able to sync up all the modules/computers etc with your BCM after the swap to make the thing even start.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
^^^^ That.

It's the best option really, start with a V8 model if that is where you want to go.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Agree with the above... Just buy one with a V8 from the factory... Resale value will be better and you won't have to mess around with engine conversions...

I would advise against turbocharging or supercharging your V6 (unless you really want to) as it's quite expensive and by the end of it, you'll be making similar power to a stock L98 and LS3...

Abrudgvegej

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 ve
Yes I know what goes into it. And the price and everything else. I’m asking if it’s worth it or would a turbo or supercharger be a better option because I know the car will be out of order for abit. But it’s gunna be out of order for abit when converting to manual ‍♀️

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Yes I know what goes into it. And the price and everything else. I’m asking if it’s worth it or would a turbo or supercharger be a better option because I know the car will be out of order for abit. But it’s gunna be out of order for abit when converting to manual ‍♀️
Just buy the car with the v8 manual first. Then get the supercharger or turbo.
If you go down this path, the car is worth it, for you, (because of the smile that gets put on your face everytime you drive it). BUT to sell it you probably won't get what you have put into it?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do? :cool: