Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Build options

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I had a chiptorque in gtr with 195i/getrag...really think they charged me big bucks for vats off but nobody else touched vs s3 or vt at the time.

Never had Mace or Crow or Fueltronics (after donnon sold it iirc)powerchip or whatever

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ditto

These days I'd rate MACE's tunes worse than stock, if they've even flashed the right tune at all.

I've heard from 3 separate people that the tunes been wrong straight out the box so it doesn't even pass the checksum allowing the car to start.
I've only had a Mace tuned V6 and it was perfectly fine, a tad lean at WOT but nothing to cause alarm. Is it just a V8 thing they get wrong?
Mine wasn't seat of your pants better and hard to know if it helped as it was the first thing or second thing I did on its own even with Pacies I couldn't tell it any difference. Plus mine was old V6 not 304.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I've only had a Mace tuned V6 and it was perfectly fine, a tad lean at WOT but nothing to cause alarm. Is it just a V8 thing they get wrong?

These have all been within the last 4-5 months I think it's a recent thing.

I heard they changed tuners and the guy they are using is only there 1 day a week, no idea how true that is.

I had a MACE tune way back when on my last car and it was fine. I suspect times have changed.

MACE now do the Crow memcals too as MACE sells them as part of their Stage 1,2 and 3 cam kits and one of the guys I was speaking to on Injected5LTR said his would barely hold idle with their tune. He got another one done from ACE and it was fine but MACE refused to accept fault.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wow, that is annoying. Yeah mine was probably 4 or 5 years ago. I have heard Mace are dropping the ball a bit lately, but that's a discussion for another time, in a different sub forum.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I’ve had a few mail order tunes from reputable people and no way I’d waste that cash again tbh.
I wasted $380 on a mail order tune from someone who was supposed to be the bees knees. Like you never again.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I was of the understanding that even with mail order tune they dial in some extra advance, whereas stock it's fairly retarded. Is this not the case?
im not sure on the early V8's exact timing but the LS actually has decent timing in it from factory may only get a few more out of it, early v8 engines are usually less efficient so can take alot more timing

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
There is some gain it with good tune but on it's own nothing notable.

Hence certain bang for buck of mods to get most out of what is already there before you get to the leave it as is or sell a kidney & go crazy stage

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
One cost me $50 off eBay years ago, one was $150 and the other $200. I gained nothing to note. The 304’s have such low compression that they’ll take plenty of timing without pinging.

I then swapped to an NVRam with Vs s3 enhanced bin (based off drrs tune I believe), and it’s been a dream. I love being able to make changes in real time. I haven’t done much of that yet though - life’s become a little busier. I’ll get to it one day.