Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 355" build thread

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Grane golds were on factory group a cars....got some really old ones on f280 355 in vh sle.

Think new brands out are scorpion & other harland(?)

Allports used to buy 2 sets ford & holden then split them so that could have higher ratio on intakes & stock ratio on exhaust...back then think ford was 1.7 or bit more & holden was 1.65 or whatever stock ratio meant to be.

Been told newer brands are bit higher ratio anyway.

Should post up old tricks with oil pumps,external pickup setups,restrictors in pushrods etc

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

Should post up old tricks with oil pumps,external pickup setups,restrictors in pushrods etc
I do a few of the Tony Knight oiling mods ... block and pump

I didn't know this bloke called TK did them but I did a whole heap that Ian Tate showed
me (some from my 202 drag racing days) and some for Holden V8s and i have found that
Tony Knight does them.

Do i have oiling issues? ... no

but a good quality sump is also a must have for roundy roundy racing :)

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
It should be noted I remember Tony mentioned recently that the Crane rockers are now being made in China as are the lifters (happened around the time crane products started to be rebranded as comp) and the metal is about as strong as as a Milo tin.

Lots have had failures recently (one of my mates lost 2x over 12 months on his 304 when he gave them a hard time around 6 grand).

YT is the only ones I’d trust for decent rockers these days, they are still made here with some actual quality control.

If you can find second hand sets of crane rockers buy them up even to keep them on the shelf for a rainy day, because the new ones are junk.

I’ve noticed the same quality issues since the change from Crane to Comp Cams, got a 276 and lifter set recently for a mates engine and the lifter faces had pitting in it and just in general looked cheap. I still ran it and it broke in ok but be interesting to see the longevity.

Last edited:

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Any opinions on 4 bolt main caps?
I think the COME ones are overkill for my needs, and are more work (expense) to set up.
Considering between:
- M&W
- Milodon.

Leaning towards milodon

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
It should be noted I remember Tony mentioned recently that the Crane rockers are now being made in China as are the lifters (happened around the time crane products started to be rebranded as comp) and the metal is about as strong as as a Milo tin.

Lots have had failures recently (one of my mates lost 2x over 12 months on his 304 when he gave them a hard time around 6 grand).

YT is the only ones I’d trust for decent rockers these days, they are still made here with some actual quality control.

If you can find second hand sets of crane rockers buy them up even to keep them on the shelf for a rainy day, because the new ones are junk.

I’ve noticed the same quality issues since the change from Crane to Comp Cams, got a 276 and lifter set recently for a mates engine and the lifter faces had pitting in it and just in general looked cheap. I still ran it and it broke in ok but be interesting to see the longevity.
haven't bought any valve train items since Covid hit... thankfully by the sounds of it!

I have 2 assembled engines ...one in the car with Crane rollers and the other, on a stand has YT versions
plus 2 or 3 spare sets (one I think is off the last engine that had a bore collapse and 'stopped' )

also have a few sets of Manley hardened pushrods spare sitting in tubs on the engine spares shelf

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Any opinions on 4 bolt main caps?
I think the COME ones are overkill for my needs, and are more work (expense) to set up.
Considering between:
- M&W
- Milodon.

Leaning towards milodon
My 2nd attempt 4 bolt build is currently at Westend for machine work.

Miloden are out of stock & they didn't want to reuse my miloden caps as they already been machined to suit the other block Allports started doing when he passed away & parts were stolen.

We ended getting Mondo caps apparently easier to machine also have set of CRD caps & going to leave it up to Westend/Fenechs as they've been doing them for decades.

My original choice would have been Miloden again purely due to all conversations/debates that me & Allports used to have but his reasoning was harder metal than block should add strength as expected also resonance or something.

Struggler building this one & junker 308.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Engine #1 (VH SLE)

Red aussie pattern 308 70's vintage

F280 10.7:1cr

Harrop crank,vn rods srp pistons

Cleaned up stock valve vn heads,crane golds,harrop single plane & 750dp demon.

Recurved dissy & hei coil

Full manual trimatic 4500rpm stally
4.56 full spool 9 inch with 27 inch tall tyres. (rear end is badly setup needs new diff & coilovers etc)

Was running holley black in boot with 3/8 fuel line to front with dead head regulator. (plan is for intank setup & return lines)

Unfortunate had stock size pickup in tank & fuel pump was up above in spare wheel well so tank had to be above 1/2 or suffered cavtation issues at high rpm.

Neo seal that kept leaking ont extractors....reason stopped driving car & it lost it's rego.

Previous owner had it dyno'd with holley red running out of fuel made 320rwhp....not sure if true as car was a pig to drive & would have grenaded itself if left how previous owners had it set up.

Was slowly getting car sorted into something that was fast & reliable untill rear main seal got too bad & returned back to old shift work job so time got away from it.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
My 2nd attempt 4 bolt build is currently at Westend for machine work.

Miloden are out of stock & they didn't want to reuse my miloden caps as they already been machined to suit the other block Allports started doing when he passed away & parts were stolen.

We ended getting Mondo caps apparently easier to machine also have set of CRD caps & going to leave it up to Westend/Fenechs as they've been doing them for decades.

My original choice would have been Miloden again purely due to all conversations/debates that me & Allports used to have but his reasoning was harder metal than block should add strength as expected also resonance or something.

Struggler building this one & junker 308.

I don't believe material makes as much difference as people think, if it did then how does a Honda K24 survive 1000hp with alloy main caps/cap.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Ordered some more bits while there was a decent eBay plus sale on.

Came to about $340 after the discounts were applied.

uc5Nnie.png

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Ordered some more bits while there was a decent eBay plus sale on.

Came to about $340 after the discounts were applied.

uc5Nnie.png
I tried to order CRD splayed caps today. Awaiting a return email with shipping prices....