Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 355" build thread

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

Yella Terra doesn't recommend taking the rockers I have past about .520 lift, the rockers themselves are bulletproof and would take as much as I throw at them, but because they use the factory 5/16 bolt rather than a screw in chunky stud like the adjustable ones, they are worried thats the weak point.

Y8sPeA3.png

My current cam is 230/230 @ 109 LSA and .495 lift, but it's not grumpy enough for me.
I have both YT and Crane screw in jobbies (no machining needed, bolt them on type) on my heads
and in 20 odd years I have been back playing circuit racer and turning mine to 7000 lap after lap... simply no issue
Mind you, camshafts are not that aggressive LSA 106-110 and lifts up to 550 generally

in early days, did bend a few pushrods (maybe a bit of an over rev on a downshift ;) )
but rockers... naaah, never a problem with them

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I have both YT and Crane screw in jobbies (no machining needed, bolt them on type) on my heads
and in 20 odd years I have been back playing circuit racer and turning mine to 7000 lap after lap... simply no issue
Mind you, camshafts are not that aggressive LSA 106-110 and lifts up to 550 generally

in early days, did bend a few pushrods (maybe a bit of an over rev on a downshift ;) )

Is that using guide plates? If so, you're saying the plates work fine and with no wear?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Oohhh nice thread!!!!

My junker 308 build will have closest solid version of what someguy360 is using crow cam 4626 except it's going in low comp 308 cubes vt heads setup that will get 150hp shot & long way down the line vortech blower.

Ideally 10.5:1cr & stronger bottom end with scat crank,vn rods & srp pistons or cheapie hypatecs would be the go BUT the engine is in way too good condition & being budget build cant see point throwing everything then put new internals especially as already 40 or 60 thou iirc.

Rather have it done on a budget hopefully it will last a few years to see if I like nitrous or find it a hassle then go sidemount or build strong 355 bottom & gas the fcul out of it.

Main aim for this is to be an experimental engine to do things on bucket list car stuff since I was a kid like try nitrous or blower on a car....also all those nifty little tricks from AV8 forum & old heads would do to their cars back in the day.

*will do seperate post on other engines like 355 setup that was in vh sle & big banger 355 4 bolter getting built(2nd attempt)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8

Which crane rockers? I'm using crane gold, 7/16 stud mount with guide plates. I was planning around .550lift and low 7's rpm (7500 absolute max)

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Which crane rockers? I'm using crane gold, 7/16 stud mount with guide plates. I was planning around .550lift and low 7's rpm (7500 absolute max)
plain basic 'silver' bolt on Crane rollers.... Crane 'CLASSIC' I think they are.

from memory bought them from Outlaw in SA

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Is that using guide plates? If so, you're saying the plates work fine and with no wear?

If using guide plates you have to used hardened push rods.

People have been doing this forever and shouldn't be a problem.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If using guide plates you have to used hardened push rods.

People have been doing this forever and shouldn't be a problem.

I've never installed them, I had them on my engine when I bought it, before it blew up.
I've heard people say they are crap.

I'm just on stock rockers atm.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've never installed them, I had them on my engine when I bought it, before it blew up.
I've heard people say they are crap.

I'm just on stock rockers atm.

I have hardened pushrods, guide plates and YT rollers in my blue 6. Been in there for 4 years and still no issues, even with a few 7,000 RPM peaks.

Can provide pics on the weekend if needed

Sorry going slightly off topic to do with a 355 stroker, but thought I'd add in about guide plates and hardened pushrods with a warmish 6 banger.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I have hardened pushrods, guide plates and YT rollers in my blue 6. Been in there for 4 years and still no issues, even with a few 7,000 RPM peaks.

Can provide pics on the weekend if needed

Sorry going slightly off topic to do with a 355 stroker, but thought I'd add in about guide plates and hardened pushrods with a warmish 6 banger.
I have guide plates, hardened pushrods, and crane golds on my current 355"
Maybe 12 years.