Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2011 VE SSV Pierced Oil Sump/Pan

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I can't weld and I don't own a welder, hence my thoughts on using timber.
phone a friend?

Using wood can be tricky unless you take specific care about the load paths and the fixing methods you use. Some sort of metal truss/wall plate and lots of bolts would be the go… I‘d not use nails…

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Recently bought a car with knock in the engine and the second there was a lake of oil under the car. Well thats what the seller told me.

Many moons ago, I lost a very hot 202 at 7500.... drag racing at CAlder you see

stopped with an electrical fault ! ....coz the No.1 rod came out the side of the block and took the alternator with it :eek:

When I read the OP my thoughts were that the seller wasn’t quite telling the full story of how that mysterious hole appeared in the block, and what they were doing at the time. But I can’t help wondering, as @Smitty has experienced, just how many rpm was it doing at that time, and where did this mysterious activity take place. Hard to believe it would have just happened while the car was parked in the seller’s driveway.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
phone a friend?

Using wood can be tricky unless you take specific care about the load paths and the fixing methods you use. Some sort of metal truss/wall plate and lots of bolts would be the go… I‘d not use nails…
My thoughts are a timber frame, either x2 laminated 90/45 down each side or a single 140/45 down each side with some noggins in the middle. Then a 20mm ply top. Fixings would be a mix of nails used to build the frame, as nails are stronger than screws. A few screws just to stop the nails slipping Lots of screws to hold down the ply and some eye bolts for tie down points.

May not happen as it might not be worth the cost to build one for the few times it would get used. Plus I have to store it. Having said that I need a new project.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You must put one on your shopping list! The modern welders are soooo much easier to use than the old stick welders of yesteryear.
Suppose I could, but I have enough gear now that only gets used once a year. Maybe when I leave my job and retrain I could do a metal engineering course.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
At the end of the day it would likely work out much cheaper to keep an eye out on Marketplace for something that could be adapted. Heck there might even be off the shelf units new for all I know.

Reactions: Lex

Mon-aro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8Z, VF Wagon, VF ute, VE S1, S2
WTF IS GOING ON?!!! Big bang theory??

Attachments

• IMG_5209.jpeg
    IMG_5209.jpeg
    955.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5210.jpeg
    IMG_5210.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 34

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
here you go everyone
#7 rod said "I'm outta here"...
And left you with some 'piston nuggets'...

Wonder what an L77 is worth as scrap value?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L