Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Widest wheels and tyres scrape free

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I have had a couple of sets of wheels and tyres on my VF2 SSVR Ute a bit on the conservative side but this time after some careful measurements, the idea was to go as wide as I could scrape free particularly on the rear with 6mm trimmed off the guard lip and retaining stock camber settings. The idea on the front was to use the same dish profile as the rear and clear the Brembo calipers managing to get 5mm caliper to spoke clearance with a 20x9.5 ET38 and 255/35 tyre. Rear are 20x11 ET52 with a 295x30 and both front and rear tyres are the same diameter 680mm. Wheels are Forgestar CF5 custom painted with a Glasurit special effects tinter.

20221014_192053.jpg

Last edited:

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Can we please have a full width side on shot. Love those wheels.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
There is something about them 5 spoke wheels!!
5 spoke wheels are a pretty basic design that've always worked well on a Commodore in my eyes! These Forgestar CF5's are a flow forged cast wheel with a good offset and dish range that spin up true like a billet wheel and take minimal weight to balance, good quality without mega cost.

Here's the 20x11 and 295/30 tyre

20221006_180709.jpg

20221006_180737.jpg

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
@RevNev … have to ask, how much test/try/scrape/new/test/repeat did you go through to get to here?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
@RevNev … have to ask, how much test/try/scrape/new/test/repeat did you go through to get to here?
The wheel thing started early 2017 with my old GenF R8 and a set of Simmons FRC's with the OEM 255/35 and 275/35 tyres. Front wheels were 20x8.5 ET35, rear's 20x10 ET45 and I thought 255's are too wide for an 8.5" wheel and the taller (HSV fitment) 275/35 I couldn't stop scraping on the rear of the guard. Ideally, the front and rear tyres need to be the same diameter and to achieve that, you need a 245/35 and 285/30 or a 255/30 and 295/35. A 255 needs a 9" wheel preferably but there's virtually nothing you can buy readily in Australia with the right widths and offsets with Brembo or AP caliper clearance. How I got onto the Forgestar wheels was seeing a photo of a Chev SS (VF Commodore) in the USA with 305/30's on the rear. I emailed Forgestar who knew more about Chev SS and Pontiac G8 fitments than any wheel supplier I'd spoken with here In Australia and they had the wheel width and offset range to suit with various dish profiles and you can buy off them directly and they'd send them to Australia.

The first set of Forgestar CF5's I bought were 20x9 ET38 and 20x10.5 ET52 as they recommended with 255/35 and 295/30 tyres. They fitted perfectly scrape free on the rear with 6mm trimmed off the guard lip. I don't like rolling VE/VF Ute guards as they tend to kink in the centre where two panels join and trimming the lip on the edge of the spotwelds flush with the guard liner I think is a safer and more tidy option.

I had the idea after carefully measuring what I had, that I could go wider in the wheel and with a 9.5" front, I could get a dish profile matching the rear as the 9's were a bit flat and lacked concave. The issue was caliper and spoke clearance with more concave on the 9.5" ET38 front wheel and from Forgestar's engineering drawing and the caliper measurements I provided, it' seemed I'd have 4 to 6mm clearance. I took a punt and bought a set of 20x11 same off set ET52 and 20x9.5 front same offset ET38 and fitted the same Bridgestone S007A's I had on the previous set. It all came about when a mate of mine wanted a set for his Gen F GTS, and with proven fitment he could visually see, he bought the first set of Forgestar's straight off my Ute.

I could "just fit" a 305/30 on the rear with a 10.5" if I cut a piece of the inner guard lining away but they looked too wide for a 10.5 and won't fit with 11" wheel. The 255 on a 9.5 and 295 on an 11" is probably the ideal size for maxing out wheel width without the tyre looking stretched.

Here's a photo from the rear showing how far out they protrude, still within the guards to avoid scraping.

20221014_192010.jpg

Last edited:

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Maloo UTE Walkinshaw 557
Currently running 295/30/20s on my '16 maloo my tyre guy has same car and runs 305s
Mine do not scrape when the tray is empty but when I have my motorcycle in the back the guards will
touch the side wall of the tyre if the car Gs out in a dip at speed so no way I would go to 305 unless I have the guards rolled .

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I emailed Forgestar who knew more about Chev SS and Pontiac G8 fitments than any wheel supplier I'd spoken with here In Australia and they had the wheel width and offset range to suit with various dish profiles and you can buy off them directly and they'd send them to Australia.

You were lucky to find someone who supplies a workable 'off-the-shelf' offset for those who want to push the tyre/rim combo out to the guard without fouling it, it's such a rarity to get a perfect fit for late model Commodores without being forced to have a special order made up.