Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do you think of the VE?

What do you think of the VE Commodore?

• Love it

Votes: 52 62.7%
  • Neutral

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Hate it

Votes: 7 8.4%

• Total voters
C

corvette_tpi

From the pics it doesn't even look like a Commodore, not impressed at the moment. Although i will reserve final judjement until i see it in person, it would want to look a whole lot better in the showroom.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
I think I may have seen one in the flesh down the Sunshine Coast yesterday. If it was in fact a VE, it looked pretty darn good. It was a red color, not really bright Ferrari red, but just a nice light red.

Getting back to my pet hate, engines, I notice that they are actually still talking about a 7 liter V8 in the future. With the way things are going with oil prices, I can see them making a nice chook house in someones yard when oil is the predicted $100 a barrel and petrol is nudging something like maybe $2 a liter or more. Yes yes, I know that some people will always buy V8's, but there are economies of scale...normal family people will simply not buy something which costs an arm and a leg to run...and the money wasted Holden is pouring down the hole on V8's could be better spent developing (yes I'm going to flog that dead horse again) a diesel V6 which would easily give more torque than a V8. Performance freaks would complain? There are already restrictions overseas in a lot of states and countries on horsepower, speeds, and other limits. When oil rises exponentially to high costs, there will be a lot of new laws passed to keep the worlds oil consumption down, and I don't think a lot of us will like some of them.
One bright point is that they are talking of a dual-fuel engine soon in the range...at least they are making a bit of an effort at fuel efficiency.
So maybe we should enjoy these cars while we can...they are only a stroke of the Government legislation pen away from being too expensive to drive.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
the 7.0L GTS will cost well over $100,000.... Fuel economy wont be an issue for those buyers. And as for "normal family people will simply not buy something which costs an arm and a leg to run".... Normal family people wont be out looking for a 377kw HSV GTS that costs well over $100,000 either. Cars like this are built for enthusiasts. People that love their V8's, love the power and are willing to pay the money to run the car.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Oh I fully understand that...I still go back to economies of scale...

How much could they drop the normal price of a Commodore if they weren't worrying about tooling up and development costs of a $100,000+ car which will maybe sell three or four a year? Remember they HRT 427? It was a monster of a car...a technological marvel...a fantastic piece of metal which got everyone all hot and bothered...there were even a couple of well-off people asking about how to place a deposit on one...one little problem...
Holden knew that it could never sell enough to justify the cost of development and tooling.
As I said, enjoy 'em while we have 'em...but the harsh reality of the busness world says that the day will come when, due to rationalisation of models and overseas competition in our tiny market, when Holden will have to ask itself whether it is worth having a few models in the lineup which aren't big sellers and are only there because it is virtually "traditional" to have them.