Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What 5 gauges and where?

H

harrop.senator

Wonder if can get one with an rpm dependant light. I've reconned a couple motors for mates that hit a light and I've never seen the use. Most are set so damn low to put it into perspective a Hyundai is set to 7 and it's usually a too late light.

A motor that doesn't show a light at hot idle and has the same pressure at 7000 rpm isn't going to be a good thing.

Honestly I'm not that great at looking at gauges in the heat of the moment. I've usually just picked up on pressure drop when hot and cruising in traffic.

Car it's going in doesn't even have a tacho yet. But I decided seeing as I can fit gauges without pillar pods and untidy top dash mounts I may as well run some.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Sure if you're running remote oil lines and tracking the car why not. This isn't exactly a common theme though and there are a number of better options to prevent that occurring as opposed running a light and hoping you spot it. Most of the remote oil hoses I've seen blown are poorly done, non redundant, have no restriction valves and are poorly or never maintained. Either way a light wont give you the blow by blow run down of your oiling system. A first start up for example might be above the threshold but below the ideal, it may not push the best practice 10PSI per 1000rpm. You'd have no idea without a gauge aside possibly noticing a noisy valve-train or other components
I had an oil pressure guage

And yes, a line failed, but it would have been the same if my oil pump lunched itself, but you cannot miss a bright red light

I'm all for oil pressure gauges, but if whatever your using doesn't have a inbuilt warning light, that is hella bright, and in plain view, your oil pressure readings are only good for logging discrepancies, not warning you of immediate loss of pressure.

At high RPM you might get a second or two to get off the loud pedal before you melt bearings, if you constantly look at your gauge then you may be fine, me, when I'm "up it", I'm looking at the exit, next corner, or my rear view, not down at the gauges, but as long as your flashing gauge or warning light is somewhere in your ?proliferal? (spellin..) vision, your going to instantly notice it

If you are going to monitor something critical like oil pressure, having an inbuilt or remote warning is good engineering practice

Well, that's how I look at it

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Guess it depends on the driver, I see my oil pressure all day long (long stroke) in my peripheral and the dash light is impossible to miss. Stock is plenty bright

I also run a suitable pan for the build so I have more time than the average bear before I'd run out from the usual suspect failures

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Guess it depends on the driver, I see my oil pressure all day long (long stroke) in my peripheral and the dash light is impossible to miss. Stock is plenty bright

I also run a suitable pan for the build so I have more time than the average bear before I'd run out from the usual suspect failures
I had an aftermarket pan as well, my oil capacity was about 8 litres, I guestimated that 7 of those litres were spread between the engine bay and track

The oil drop was right on the line from just before, and most of the way thru turn 1

Drivers behind me were most unimpressed and the clean up took quite a while

LOL

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
They were right to be pissed at you. There's always one who can't handle their fluids :)

Meh, it's a thing and happens quite alot at the track

Last time I was at WSID I had 1 run, then someone dropped oil, after they cleaned it up,which took about an hour, they then restarted, I was about 4 cars from going in, then another oil drop, someone put a bay window in their block, engine parts and oil were all over the strip

I dropped my showbags and went home with 1 run under my belt

Meh, when you use them hard **** happens

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I've been to Wakefield lots and lots over the years. Mallala prior to that. Aside a couple of stacks from mates, never experienced this on bikes or in cars. Must just be lucky, maybe I've just jinxed the new girl. Plenty on the quarter though, man that blows hard

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've been to Wakefield lots and lots over the years. Mallala prior to that. Aside a couple of stacks from mates, never experienced this on bikes or in cars. Must just be lucky, maybe I've just jinxed the new girl
I used to race at Mallala. Couple of minor falls but nothing that hurt. I was doing about 160 - 170 down the back and overtook a bloke on the bend with only inches between us, and no track left on my inside.. Scared the **** out of me and he beat me in the end because I was shaking by the time I got to the northern hairpin. Had I backed off or something else go wrong we both would have been stretchered out of there..... I no longer have the balls to do that any more, shame because having a decent dual is the best part about racing. We got a writeup in tbe Motorave Mag, which was funny.