Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Wheres this oil leak coming from?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Thermostat on the back of the ls? Gotta do mine as a summer backyard job cheers, might do a shift kit and maybe stall while its out. It will be my first real fun, only done water pump alt tb ect before.
No. The thermostat is on the back of the motor on a V6.

Viffer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Don't forget the possibility of a transmission input seal leaking. Check the trans fluid and if it keeps going down, that's probably the culprit. Otherwise, probably the rear main seal. Might as well replace while you're at it.

Viffer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
No. The thermostat is on the back of the motor on a V6.

The last time I had the thermostat housing off to replace the seals, it was on the front of the Alloytec V6. Are you thinking of the old 3.5 from the Rodeo? I vaguely recall reading something about the thermostat or the water pump being on the back of a GM V6 many years ago (and not the VN V6 - that's a different beast), but it definitely isn't the Alloytec in the VZ.

Edit: actually, now that I think of it, it was only the coolant outlet housing (it was a long time ago, so memory failed me). Forget what I just said.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The oil leaking in the picture is engine oil. It’s not red like transmission oil.

Viffer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
The oil leaking in the picture is engine oil. It’s not red like transmission oil.
While that's true of trans oil in good condition, coming from a transmission in reasonable condition that gets serviced when it should, that isn't always the case. ATF can be brown if it isn't replaced often enough, and black if the transmission is in poor condition. On my phone, the OP's photos weren't clear enough for me to even see anything but a dirty engine and transmission, so my comment was in general, not for the OP's specific case. I hope this clarifies where I was coming from.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks mate thats what i thought
Sorry. I assumed it was V6. On mobile it doesn’t show what you are driving.
IMG_3639.jpeg

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I should clarify further, seeing it is an LS, the rear main seal might be fine but the seals around the rear main plate might be leaking, especially toward the top of it.

Mon-aro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8Z, VF Wagon, VF ute, VE S1, S2
Don't forget the possibility of a transmission input seal leaking. Check the trans fluid and if it keeps going down, that's probably the culprit. Otherwise, probably the rear main seal. Might as well replace while you're at it.
Any idea how to check the trans fuild?? vz cv8 monaro automatic

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Should have the dipstick at the back of the engine. Has to be warm. Go through the gears