Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ ABS Module help?

Leuspage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
So. First thing a bought a VZ of a dad who's young bloke was thrashing it. No tread left on the tyres fun times. A month on the fuel Gauge error Contact Dealer service vehicle soon and car wouldn't start. I need knew anything about cars at all prior to this. Could start it up I if I bypassed the starter relay. Everyone said Ecu. So I replaced the ECU, BCM, PIM and keyhead with a second hand one. Started up and was all good. Was going for my licence, the instructor sat down and Abs fault and esp and handbrake light was all on and sounding off alarm. Just my luck. Everywhere and everyone said the abs module wasn't linked to the new computer so I put all the old one back in. Started it up bypass the real again and the abs esp warnings are all still there. I'm guessing ABS module chose to stuff me over at the wrong time..

Is this all it could be? Someone said it could be a wheel sensor but what is that and how do I get to it to unplug and clean if I can. I'm hunting an ABS module down. Rego due in 2 days and I need two back tyres. Anyone out there in commodore land that can help me or point me to someone who can

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I don’t think the abs module is VIN matched.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Actually. No it’s not. I’ve replaced V6 computer sets and ABS has never been involved, nor problems that occur from it.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
You probably should start with getting a scan tool to read what faults are being thrown and diagnose it from there, Otherwise it can be expensive guess work,

Leuspage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
My mate put this on and got these codes. Any idea?

Attachments

• IMG_20201129_113553.jpg
    IMG_20201129_113553.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 232

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
So from the manual -

from an 05 V6 the code means: Controller Area Network PIM Timeout

from an 06 V6 the code means: CAN-Bus No Communication with
ABS/TC/ESP

From and 06 V* the code means: CAN-Bus No Communication with
ABS/TC/ESP

There is a lot of detail available that talks about how to diagnose and fault find on each of the DTC above. If you don't have it I recommend downloading it - seach this site for the latest on where to download it from. Once you have it get into the vehicle diagnostics under the intro and Tech 2 section for your MY and engine type. Each DTC is listed by name and a diagnostic table is provided to wade your way through the fault - how to clear it and how to identiufy the problem. That should get you on the course to success.

If you get stuck let me know the MY and engine type and I will see what I can pull down for you,

Last edited:

cruisingatnight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Actually. No it’s not. I’ve replaced V6 computer sets and ABS has never been involved, nor problems that occur from it.
With my vz from earlier post you commented on 2005 vz v6 ok so basically I have to have a scan tool plugged into the obd2 port to start and drive my car as if I don't have it plugged in to the obd2 port no crank no start but once started no issues basically if I unplug the abs module plug and try and start the car even with the scan tool connected to obd2 it won't start I have to have it plugged in to start? When cars running I can unplug the abs module without any change to the engine ect and no abs light on the dash but if I unplug it then try and start the car it just won't even crank so could this be the issue of my whole eletrical problem ?? Faulty abs or abs module is faulty acting as some sort of ground to the rest of the car ????? Have checked all wiring fuses relays ect ect alternator cycle is now running at 99% duty cycle when the cars running instead of being at only 9% when running before I basically cut the plug off the voltage regulator in a rage that it still wasn't charging the battery so now I think I'm one step closer as its running at 99% duty cycle when running only its at 0% when cars off so it's not going to send me on the highway to heellll hopefully LOL

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The ABS doesn’t have to be plugged in to start.

cruisingatnight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
That's what I also thought but if I unplug it no crank no start but plug it back in and the car will start ??