Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VT/VX/VY/VZ/VE] Everything to know about OBD2 (ELM327) Diagnostic Cables

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
TazzI the smart **** said it would be the oil pressure sender!! - LOL that's what it was, either way super happy with the cable and software, thoroughly recommended so far, the install isn't too much of a brain strain (I am in IT so my opinion here isn't really valid) but it works well and the software looks fantastic.

Good to see someone doing a professional job for us Holden nuts.

I cleared the fault code, going to drive it to work tomorrow and see if the code comes back and if it does order the part (I should work for Holden isn't that how they do things??? LOLOL!).

Great to hear its helped out! :beer chug:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
As predicted code came straight back, will go grab a sender this arvo or on the weekend - fantastic piece of kit.

thanks again.

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Sorry but I couldn't wade through 12 pages of posts. So I skimmed a bit.
I've just bought a 2004 - VY2 - Commodore Wagon (V6).

My question. I believe all the engine tuning etc is done via "ALDL"? Not OBD / OBD2.
Is there a WiFi (Not Bluetooth) interface yet that supports ALDL or the lot (ALDL, OBD, OBD2)?

Car was duel fuel LPG / Petrol. But LPG system removed just before I purchased.
I've already discovered and replaced the incorrect LPG plugs (.7mm gap + 7 Heat rating).
It was running very rough and almost stall at idle + bad fuel economy. (Now much better but not perfect).

I'd like to be able to check and monitor other stuff.

Any info appreciated.
PM Direct if you like. Big N00b. Like to learn fast if possible.
.-.-.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Advanced engine diagnostics with a ALDL cable is what you want to monitor a VY V6

Advanced Engine Diagnostics - Envyous Customs

The LPG system on a VY would have it's own computer so it wouldn't be the tuning causing the issue.

I'd say it would either be the fuel systems a bit sludgey in the lines, the maf's dirty, the throttle body is dirty or an injector is a bit lazy/blocked after being on gas for so long.

But ADE will be able to show you what the engine and sensors are going so you can use it to work out where it's falling over.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Sorry but I couldn't wade through 12 pages of posts. So I skimmed a bit.
I've just bought a 2004 - VY2 - Commodore Wagon (V6).

My question. I believe all the engine tuning etc is done via "ALDL"? Not OBD / OBD2.
Is there a WiFi (Not Bluetooth) interface yet that supports ALDL or the lot (ALDL, OBD, OBD2)?

Car was duel fuel LPG / Petrol. But LPG system removed just before I purchased.
I've already discovered and replaced the incorrect LPG plugs (.7mm gap + 7 Heat rating).
It was running very rough and almost stall at idle + bad fuel economy. (Now much better but not perfect).

I'd like to be able to check and monitor other stuff.

Any info appreciated.
PM Direct if you like. Big N00b. Like to learn fast if possible.
.-.-.

Dirbatua has pretty much covered it all.

But thats correct the language (protocol) that the VY V6 uses is called "ALDL". Iv only developed USB versions of the required diagnostic cable, I thought about bluetooth and WIFI but figured Id leave that to the current envy cable Im developing.

If you jump onto the link above provided by Dirbatua, you can see the kit I provide that supports your VY V6 allowing you to view live data from the vehicle. Make sure to watch the live demonstration video of AED to get a feel for how easy the software is to use and the kind of data you can view.

I imagine the O2 sensors may be playing up and also possibly a dirty MAF. They are generally the main culprits.

Something else that I have come across HEAPS of times, is where spark plugs and the leads have not been installed/seated properly which makes the car run terribly as its not firing on a cylinder.

Hope that helps!

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
Hi, Thanks for all the good info guys.
I'll wait for the new BT + USB version of the cable. I'm really excited about that. It looks great.

I've had time to do a bit of running in the car since changing the plugs and I'm getting 12.5 / 9.5l per 100K's (Town / Highway) So I'm fairly happy about that for now.
The car still stumbles at idle at times so I'm sure there is a sensor or something not quiet right.
I'll look into all this once I get my hands on one of these new nice BT Envyous adapters in the hopefully not to distant future. ;)

Latest thing the hood lining fell in less then a week after buying the car, so now I have to deal with that first! :(
.-.-.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hi, Thanks for all the good info guys.
I'll wait for the new BT + USB version of the cable. I'm really excited about that. It looks great.

I've had time to do a bit of running in the car since changing the plugs and I'm getting 12.5 / 9.5l per 100K's (Town / Highway) So I'm fairly happy about that for now.
The car still stumbles at idle at times so I'm sure there is a sensor or something not quiet right.
I'll look into all this once I get my hands on one of these new nice BT Envyous adapters in the hopefully not to distant future. ;)

Latest thing the hood lining fell in less then a week after buying the car, so now I have to deal with that first! :(
.-.-.

No dramas!

Am working at full throttle to get the cables developed and ready for dispatch.

There will be a testing phase where Im going to be having a bunch of these hooked up for a couple weeks for durability tests at extreme conditions to ensure they can take it, that will be the longest part of it all once I have a perfect case design made up.

As with anything I develop, I will always be looking for early beta testers so keep an eye out for when Im looking for volunteers!

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
Sure, I'd be happy to help if I can be of value.

I had another idea last night too. Not sure if this would be needed to be implemented at a software or hardware level.

I believe that when a cable is plugged in it causes a light to flash annoyingly on the dash.

With the new version having wireless options I'd be inclined to leave it plugged in permanently giving me the option to bring up App's etc on a tablet etc when ever I felt like it without having to plug and unplug the device continuously.

So I am wondering if there is a way to leave it plugged in but toggle the communication on and off to the car as needed.

Just an idea. :)
.-.-.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Ah right. No flashing lights when not being used (I promise!). It will only have a constant power light and a light indicating whether usb or bluetooth is being used. These are not that bright and shouldnt be of any distraction under the dash.

In saying that, I havent designed the tool to be ultra low power using. It doesnt use alot of power at all, but I have not yet tested in car how long I can have it plugged in without starting the car to see if it drains the battery yet. I *may* be able to setup a 'sleep' mode so that it wakes backup when it sees communciation from bluetooth or USB, but I havent implemented that in either.

Main focus currently is getting this fully made up and functioning so initial testers can start giving them a go!.

3D printer arrived.. been tinkering with that.. not long now!!!