Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr304

Donk lyne

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr ss 304
Hi there peep I've got a vr ss 304 after market radiator with twin thurmo fans and it still gets hot would it hurt if I took the thermostat out cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is this an eBay rad set up? If yes, there lies your problems. The clutch fan pulls a stack more air than cheap twin thermos. Plus those eBay alloy rads if that's what you have are not great. I installed one in my V6 and even though it held more water it didn't perform like I thought it would.

If you're dead set on thermos then you will need some that can pull a lot more air than those you have and you will probably need to upgrade the alternator to cope.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Where are you located? If you are near me I can put you onto a cooling system/AC expert who can get you something that will work well. It won't be cheap though.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Silly idea to remove thermostat as a bandaid measure...just need to drill 2 small holes so can bleed air out.

Point of it is to slow water down enough for heat transfer.

Didn't say or show pics of actual radiator & thermofans....most aftermarket fans are crap.

Ford mondeo or au fans etc work great but need bigger 120a alternator + better wiring.

A setup I like is vs series 3 2 core replacement with vs v6 thermofan...bolts on & looks like factory also able to keep stock 85a alternator.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I got a 'police spec' rad, I think it was adrad. Cooler temp 'high flow' thermostat. Stock fan and shroud.

Stays pretty even temp even when thrashing or towing or whatever.

Buy a good radiator. It'll be the best money you ever spend on it.
My rad was over $600 but well worth it.

Donk lyne

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr ss 304
Is this an eBay rad set up? If yes, there lies your problems. The clutch fan pulls a stack more air than cheap twin thermos. Plus those eBay alloy rads if that's what you have are not great. I installed one in my V6 and even though it held more water it didn't perform like I thought it would.

If you're dead set on thermos then you will need some that can pull a lot more air than those you have and you will probably need to upgrade the alternator to cope.
Yer might put a clutch fan on thanks