Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Commodore ecotec swap

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
So, the ecotec engine loom & pcm wasn't used?

Used VR ecu and VR wiring loom. Also used all VR sensors where I could to make any diagnosis easier. Only had to extend wires for TPS and IAC. All the rest was plug and play. Retained the VR trans as it bolted straight up to the ecotec.

I didnt want to ECU swap as then I would also have needed to swap BCM and other wiring and create more work.
The VS donor car had damaged wiring loom and unknown state of other electrics so I used what I knew was good from the VR.

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Used VR ecu and VR wiring loom. Also used all VR sensors where I could. Only had to extend wires for TPS and IAC.
Did you a use standard ecotec memcal in the vr pcm or did you have to modify the tune on the memcal?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you a use standard ecotec memcal in the vr pcm or did you have to modify the tune on the memcal?
I did initially try the stock VR memcal and it ran fine but swapped back to a Greenfoam memcal I had done previously for the old engine. Everyone that has driven it says that it goes very well apart from a small knock from exhaust Y-pipe that I need to fix next.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
should be some buicks kicking around on marketplace/gumtree. otherwise there are a few commodore wreckers, someone will have a buick kicking around.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
should be some buicks kicking around on marketplace/gumtree. otherwise there are a few commodore wreckers, someone will have a buick kicking around.
Should be, but there are many more ecotecs available than buicks and then the old "i know what I have here, dont lowball me".

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If OP was near me, I know a Holden Wrecker who can't get rid of Buicks, as no one wants them. He told me he'd let it go for $100 as he was sick of tripping over it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Seeing the OP is from S.A, I should go for a drive and take pictures of cars with buicks fitted.....

I know where there are a few straight off the bat....Actually pointed a fellow member to the place that has 1st, 2nd and from memory 3rd gen Commodores being wrecked and they very good with prices....

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Should be, but there are many more ecotecs available than buicks and then the old "i know what I have here, dont lowball me".
only have a eco here, no buicks atm so I cant help.

but they seem to pop up often enough still.

cant help the 'I know what I have got crew' :rolleyes:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I had a nice buick/t5 setup from vp ute for sale....no buyers even at $100 for months just wanted it all gone with the least effort.

Kept a few small parts that people lose or dont take off in conversions & sold them for couple hundred.

Engine & gearbox went to the tip...ofcourse people said they anted it all after everything was gone.