Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp Steering

M

mickey

Many VP's use brake pads called "metal king". They squeal like bastards but last twice as long. Usually they were on the higher performance models (Police packs, 5 litres)

valet_dave

Reaction score
I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this stuff, but here's my experience...

My VP does the same thing around 90-100kmph. I had a wheel balance done, which reduced the vibration quite a bit. The tyre place reckon that the tyres are out of round (parked in one position for too long?)- and I wouldn't be surprised if I have flat spotted them as well. They suggest new tyres if I get sick of it. A wheel balance is a fairly cheap option to try, if you have already checked wheel bearings. They will pick it up straight away, if the wheel is bent.

Shock absorbers and brake disks don't come into the equation if you are on a smooth surface and you're on the gas.

It's pretty easy to check wheel bearings and the steering rack. Just jack up the front of the car and check for movement by moving the wheel back and forth. I've got about 2-3mm of play in the steering rack.. which explains why I go through tyres like there is no tomorrow. I don't think this should cause vibration at speed, because of the amount of toe-in used. If you're getting movement in the wheel, but the steering rack is steady, then it's probably the bearings. You can somtimes hear a bad bearing by giving the wheel a spin. But I've never found bad bearings to give that much vibration unless they are REALLY loose or crushed, they usually just squeal.

That's my 2 cents.

Dave