Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Calais no pedal after bleeding brakes

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Hope someone can help me, I fitted a new M/C after a gradual fail and after finally getting a good pedal on the bleed (altho I wasn't 100% happy with the bleed, I did get a good pedal) I lost all pedal after 40min drive.
I have bled brakes for decades and usually don't have a problem, have I missed something maybe with the ABS?
VP Calais

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Did you bench-bleed the new master cylinder before fitting it to the car? From the Holden VS Service Manual, VP should be similar:

"Fill the (new) master cylinder with fresh, recommended brake fluid and bleed on the bench prior to replacing on the vehicle. After bleeding, block master cylinder outlet ports to prevent fluid escaping."

Last edited:

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Yep, bench bled, but I don't have those plastic blank bolts and lost a little fluid as I fitted it.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
One other note which may, or may not, be relevant:

"If installing a new master cylinder assembly in an ABS equipped vehicle, ensure that the screw in the blanking plug is installed and tightened in the lower of the two front brake outlets in the master cylinder."

I assume you have checked to make sure brake fluid is not leaking out anywhere? Otherwise you might have to repeat the bleeding procedure one or two more times.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think you might have air in the ABS.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Yes I think there is air still in the system (ABS), I don't have access to Tech 1 to purge it so will try vacuum bleeding on the weekend.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
The ABS system fluid is sealed until the ABS is activated. It's unlikely to be the cause of your problem. I have previously bled the brakes on my VS Calais multiple times when I was preparing for running laps on high performance driving courses. I've also replaced the master cylinder on the same car without any ABS or brake problems. The VP should be no different. I have assumed that you are running standard Holden VP brakes? If that's not the case, can you let us know.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Yes I think there is air still in the system (ABS), I don't have access to Tech 1 to purge it so will try vacuum bleeding on the weekend.
I didnt think there was a tech bleed option until VT?

I know I tried just in case on the VS and none of the tech units I tried had the option available. (tried 2 workshops with different units)

Mine turned out to be a dead ABS module, soon as replaced the ABS module, and did a normal brake bleed, the pedal came good. So my understanding is that the pre VT dont have the computer bleed option.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Would the pedal come good then drop to nothing again if the ABS is dead?
It's all dead stock.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Would the pedal come good then drop to nothing again if the ABS is dead?
It's all dead stock.
Mine was like that in the VS, was probably going for some time, but since its rarely driven I didn't notice so much, then boom no pedal when I went to move it one day.
In the end I would have pedal only briefly before it dropped away.

I have never had a VP-VS one fail before, always the VT onwards that had ABS module problems, so it was so very far down the list of suspect parts.