Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Walkinshaw Engine Problem

WalkyHR31

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL HSV SS Group A
Ok so thanks to the guy who suggested the security system but if that’s activated it won’t let the engine start.
Re the IAC hadn’t thought of that so will check out. No giving it throttle makes no difference, just dies after a couple of seconds and then won’t start again until left sitting for around 10 mins and then does it again.
I have always sorted out my Wally engine problems over the years no problem but not this time. Thanks Guys

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Ok so thanks to the guy who suggested the security system but if that’s activated it won’t let the engine start.
Re the IAC hadn’t thought of that so will check out. No giving it throttle makes no difference, just dies after a couple of seconds and then won’t start again until left sitting for around 10 mins and then does it again.
I have always sorted out my Wally engine problems over the years no problem but not this time. Thanks Guys
Highly unlikely on a probably really well kept vehicle.
But check the condition of the charge wire on the back of the alternator (B+).
Had similar situation on an old 202 in a landrover 15 years ago. Always died a block from home, found bad crimp, fixed it, problem gone. I doubt yours would be anything similar though.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Actually, check the plug on the oil pressure switch (maybe a mouse chewed it?). Because once the motor fires, one of those wires advises the ECU of oil pressure and to keep pump on. Although you said it had good pressure, maybe VL was wired slightly differently to the later versions.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Thinking about it, I don't think it has a factory security system as I believe it's the same basic system as used on the VN.

To me, it seems like something electrical, I'd be going over the ignition system. Do you have the ability to check for spark when cranking? I'd start the engine and after it dies, crank it over and check for spark. If you have an induction timing light that clips over an ignition lead it should be enough or pull a lead off and shove a spare plug in it with the gap opened up nice and wide and then grounded on the engine when cranking.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Blocked injectors?

Fubar fuel pump?

Fuel filter fubar?

What fuel? 98? E85?

Stored with full tank?

Stored with fuel stabiliser?

98 doesn't store well long term, E85 stores like hydrochloric acid and jelly

Typically after long storage fuel issues would be my first point of call

Disconnect the fuel line at the rail and see how much flow and pressure you have

Good luck

WalkyHR31

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL HSV SS Group A
Thinking about it, I don't think it has a factory security system as I believe it's the same basic system as used on the VN.

To me, it seems like something electrical, I'd be going over the ignition system. Do you have the ability to check for spark when cranking? I'd start the engine and after it dies, crank it over and check for spark. If you have an induction timing light that clips over an ignition lead it should be enough or pull a lead off and shove a spare plug in it with the gap opened up nice and wide and then grounded on the engine when cranking.
Thanks will do all that as I think you are correct in what you say. You wouldn't believe it but the new Bosch pump I fitted failed on the third attempted start so have to send that back to get replaced before I can do any of the other tests. I am ins SA and car is in SYD so will be a while before I get back onto it.