Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MaxV2903

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodre 12/81
Hey all, I’ve got a VH 6 cylinder manual steer that I’m converting to V8 Power steer, I’ve got a VS V8 k frame and need to buy a rack way what needs to be done to make it all fit

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No need for k-frame swap....

Bolt power steer rack in, get the intermediate shaft to suit a power steer car and the bracket to suit the 6cyl for the power steer pump...The bracket will be hard to find

I do have a power steer intermediate shaft here if needed...

Reactions: Lex

MaxV2903

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodre 12/81
No need for k-frame swap....

Bolt power steer rack in, get the intermediate shaft to suit a power steer car and the bracket to suit the 6cyl for the power steer pump...The bracket will be hard to find

I do have a power steer intermediate shaft here if needed...
My main concern was clearance around vn headed extractors around a VH rack and heard you can make a vs rack fit with better clearance?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
So if it was an early headed V8 like VC said you'd just swap in the engine no worries. For running VN heads and the inevitable problems with header clearance you will run into you're better off changing to a VN-S K frame and VN/P rack. VN/P rack is because they are splined whereas VR/VS are not, you will also need a VL manual steering intermediate shaft too to mate them all together. Bear in mind you will need to use the VH tie rods and BJ's so it all mates up with the existing track width.

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
So if it was an early headed V8 like VC said you'd just swap in the engine no worries. For running VN heads and the inevitable problems with header clearance you will run into you're better off changing to a VN-S K frame and VN/P rack. VN/P rack is because they are splined whereas VR/VS are not, you will also need a VL manual steering intermediate shaft too to mate them all together. Bear in mind you will need to use the VH tie rods and BJ's so it all mates up with the existing track width.
I'm pretty sure when I put a VN V8 k-frame and power steering rack in my VK I used a VL power steering intermediate shaft not a manual one.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If youre building decent engine & want extractors you'll need vl p/steer intermediate & vn rack...astra pump worth looking at.

If stock or mild could get away with factory tubular hsv or calais steel headers & stay with earlier k frame & chunky p/steer.