Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF parts shortage...

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Not just Vf its all holden stuff, hail damaged trax only 6 bonnets left in aust in 2021 over $1200 each.

Mates crash shop did SA police cars for sale, sa cops were buying write of ZBs for spare parts as no stock.

Holden knew they were closing so did minimal stock.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
A few weeks ago it did get down to $1.87,
Then skyrocketed to $2.35.
Being I drive around a fair bit, you notice these things.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got the price of a VE Series I SS bumper cover. Retail $744. I didn't ask for a discount yet as I'm not in a position to buy one right now. However, I bought one a year or two ago, can't remember when and it was $450.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
My understanding was that it is mostly a VF series 2 issue. Apparently a lot of the spares were purchased by people putting a S2 bumper on a S1 so the stock depleted faster than expected.

I wouldn’t panic too much. Typically what happens is that these shortages make the prices skyrocket, then it comes more worthwhile for a third party to invest in setting up a reproduction production (perhaps in China?), and then things sort of return to normal (after they have recouped their investment).

But who really knows? Maybe it is wise to buy up while you can? Or it might be money down the drain? I have no idea.

That improves things for people repairing their own cars privately but not insurance companies, who normally won’t touch aftermarket parts.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
And also cheaper new parts than wreckers 2nd hand parts I've found.

I bought a 2nd hand vf windscreen cowl panel for $100 from a wrecker and then found new genuine from the dealer was $42!

I now have a 2nd hand windscreen cowl ornament hanging in the shed.

It’s all over the shite shop now because pricing now all comes down to opinions over the rarity of parts for a dead brand.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Insurance companies won’t use aftermarket parts.
Not sure about that , i had to insist on genuine when getting the glass for my tailgate , it was only because it was cheaper than after market that they used it , and i'm fairly confident they used a second hand tailgate to replace mine as i only recently notice it had damage on the top edge of it

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not sure about that , i had to insist on genuine when getting the glass for my tailgate , it was only because it was cheaper than after market that they used it , and i'm fairly confident they used a second hand tailgate to replace mine as i only recently notice it had damage on the top edge of it

In my experience glass is a different matter, probably because it’s not really possible to make a substandard windscreen.

I know from the days I worked in wrecking yards (admittedly about 25 years ago now) that insurance companies would regularly buy secondhand body panels and bumpers, etc from us but never any aftermarket parts (we sold both).

The secondhand panels had to be absolutely perfect though with zero dints or imperfections otherwise they would reject it.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Last year a friend of mine damaged his front bar on his FPV F6 Typhoon. (yeah, sadly a Ford guy)
Anyway insurance would only pay out about $2k. No new stock available. The only replacement he could find had to be sent down from FNQ. He had to pay about $7k for it plus freight!
I hope we don't get to that!!

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Insurance companies won’t use aftermarket parts.
That’s correct,

But smash repairers do !,
And charge OEM prices.
That’s why love insurance jobs !