Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF electronics

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Hi all, regarding the electronic components in our VF’s. What would be a realistic life span of these items like the Mylink screen / assembly , HUD and other electronic items?

Also I can’t remember did Holden gaurantee parts supply for 10 years after production end in 2017 or from shutdown at the end of this year ?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
most of the electronics are fairly robust but with things like that one could fail next week while another could last 10 years.

the last i read was the dealers were contracted until 2025 so going beyond 2025 i guess we will have to see how that plays out.
gm claimed 10 years but in recent years gm has been full of sh!t in this country so we might see in 2025 they just bail with the big fu to au.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Some parts are all ready discontinued or unavailable , I need the upholstery for the backseat bolster , Holden only had 3 left and were for a different model , now i'm stuck trying to find a replacement
I will be buying a replacement cruise control buttons as i use the toggle often to adjust speed and recon it will eventually wear out

Last edited:

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Thanks for the reply guys, I’ve bought up some spare items which get used everyday like electric window switches, engine stop start button, park brake switch, electronic throttle pedal , both steering wheel control clusters , indicator and wiper storks. Suppose I’m considering whether I sell both of my VF’s before they become worthless due to the lack of service ability

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The HUD is exposed to intense sun and heat during normal car operation. That said, along with the interlaminar film in the region where the HUD display is projected, there is a UV film adding a bit more protection of both the HUD dashboard and the people in the front seats.

I would be concerned about the longevity of the finish on the PU-coated steering wheel if the car was to be persistently left in the sun (mine is not, when and where I can help it). Cracking bolsters on seats is an unresolved issue.

I am not concerned with gathering oodles of spare parts, as if the VF, on the premise of this thread, is my last car - - it's not, and it will likely be gone (traded) 4 years from now. It probably will not be worth much at all, being a 'dead brand', not at all helped by events that have lead to the present circumstances with Holden. I am of course speaking about the lower spec VFs. High spec cars may attract attention but the aforementioned points of components still bear weight on the used car market and lookers and/or buyers will be very, very wary.

There are other practicalities and annoyances. The lack of updates to MyLink, and particularly maps, and phone connectivity (no Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, save for aftermarket mods thst do not appeal to Mums and Dads) is a very real disincentive for used Holden buyers. Current maps from 2017 and 2018 are missing 44 new suburbs and satellite estates around Melbourne, and many estates, new roads and anabranches close to where I am - - clsoe to useless. Google has them all. Holden does not. Effectively, VF Series maps are only useful for regional areas one is not familiar driving in.

Bits and pieces that require replacement through wear and tear will be available for a long time. Advice to the wise: do not horde them when others are entitled to spare parts too.

Last edited:

Henry19720

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY15 Man Sedan, MY17 SSVR Man Sedan
Some parts are all ready discontinued or unavailable , I need the upholstery for the backseat bolster , Holden only had 3 left and were for a different model , now i'm stuck trying to find a replacement
I will be buying a replacement cruise control buttons as i use the toggle often to adjust speed and recon it will eventually wear out
Yep that’s why I replaced the cruise switch on mine. The rubber / plastic was coming off the toggle switch.

Interesting re the back bolster. I just replaced the drivers seat back cover. GM had 75 in Melbourne.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
buy a steering wheel while they are cheap and readily available (I have a brand new one in a box in my garage cost me less than $200).

everything else, well i don't really think there's much you can do.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Yep that’s why I replaced the cruise switch on mine. The rubber / plastic was coming off the toggle switch.

Interesting re the back bolster. I just replaced the drivers seat back cover. GM had 75 in Melbourne.
I would imagine there is a higher demand for front seat covers than a rear bolster that gets zero wear