Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Cooling System

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Thanks alot mate much appreciated! Your post giving me a hope its not the head gasket ( HOPEFULLY) so hoping its just and air trapped in the system! " fingers crossed"
Hopefully.

Not just air but the sealing surfaces are clean and corrosion free. Cap is new and genuine. Get it pressure tested and have the leak down tests done that have already been suggested.

Mon-aro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8Z, VF Wagon, VF ute, VE S1, S2

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I popped radiators while the car setting on the driveway, imagine i drive it to the mechanic then the whole engine will be cooked
Which radiators have y wasou been buying? Could it just be a case of sh1t eBay radiators?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sorry which little hose are your refering too? The are two little hoses on the filler neck?
One of the little hoses runs from the filler neck to the top of the radiator. That is the one.
When the filler neck is full you pull the hose off the fitting on top of the radiator and that allows air to bleed out of the radiator. You will see or hear air coming out and then a steam of coolant coming out, then you know the radiator is bled. ** This bleeds air from the radiator, not from the engine side of the cooling system **
If you FART in the BATH the BUBBLES always RISE to the TOP.
Do it before the system builds full pressure. It would also help to leave that hose off while you're initially filling the system with coolant. Just don't forget to put it back on before you go driving anywhere.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
While the VE and VF do have an air bleed designed into it, it will mean air slowly works out over the coming week or so. So initially you might not know if all the work has been worth it or not because trapped air gremlins will still occur. Also means you have to constantly check the coolant overflow. That is a big pain in the arse. You will be best to carry around a premix in the car. Another pain in the arse.

By doing a proper air bleed in the first place you eliminate a lot of stuffing around and uncertainty.

Everyone should still keep an eye on the reservoir level but not as critically. Less stress.

If you have a compressor, the vacuum fill kits are the ducks nuts. This is how fluid systems are filled on the assembly line. No need for bleeding after the coolant is introduced under a vacuum. Done in minutes. Also those kits will show a leak in the system is it doesn’t hold vacuum for 5 or 10 mins.

Mon-aro

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just really hope its not the Headgasket! Wish me luck guys.

Attachments

• IMG_1851.jpeg
    IMG_1851.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 21

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
So do we.
You’ll have very handy tools for servicing and even with $130 for the two kits you’ve got, you are waaaay ahead of you had a shop do it.

Mon-aro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi guys so i have received the kit and was so exited to perform the procedure, and the the joy didnt last for long, anyways after performing the vacumming the guage set at -0.02 and it stopped and as soon as i shut of the compressor the system sucks back air almost immediatley there wasnt a holden in the list so i choose NO: 6. Please have a look

Attachments

• IMG_1879.jpeg
    IMG_1879.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1876.jpeg
    IMG_1876.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1877.jpeg
    IMG_1877.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1881.jpeg
    IMG_1881.jpeg