Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

using LED head lights with a house transformer

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I bought LED H4 headlights a long time ago and tried them until I was told they are illegal so I'm going to use them in an old broken house lamp but I'm having a little trouble understanding the "draw" side to the specifications of the LED's, below is the ones I have and I've tried using just 12 volts @ 4 amps and its works fine but if the input is 9 to 32 volts does it always just use up to 13.8 volts because it has a voltage regulator? I haven't tried using a multimeter on an empty headlight socket yet to see what voltages are being used in the car but is 12 volts safe to use because of the draw? I understand the amps side where if a device needs 1 amp is ok to use a 2 amp power supply

LED Headlights.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A lot of the new LED head lights are dual voltage 12/24 volt which means they are designed for standard 12 volt car systems as well as 24 volt systems as found in trucks. The working voltage 9-32 volts is so the light will work at above and below the nominal system voltage (either 12 or 24), lower voltage when cranking and higher voltage to allow for charging anomalies.

They've listed the current draw (1.6amps) at 13.8 volts, I guess they assume that is the average voltage the lamp will work at. A good charging system should be 14.4 volts but old cars....

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
A lot of the new LED head lights are dual voltage 12/24 volt which means they are designed for standard 12 volt car systems as well as 24 volt systems as found in trucks. The working voltage 9-32 volts is so the light will work at above and below the nominal system voltage (either 12 or 24), lower voltage when cranking and higher voltage to allow for charging anomalies.

They've listed the current draw (1.6amps) at 13.8 volts, I guess they assume that is the average voltage the lamp will work at. A good charging system should be 14.4 volts but old cars....
Thanks I'll put it together with the power supply I tested it with, I'm not sure if this LED driver has a built in feature I found if the high beam voltage is applied at the same time with low beam the low turns off and the high stays on im looking for a data sheet on the pcb to make sure both voltages on are OK if I ever need to wire a switch that way

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Though I might add a bit more confusion.

Based on your information,
You require a square wave 3amp DC driver/power supply.,
otherwise you could get a (sign wave) flicker if you use a std home LED Downlight Driver.

27w @ 12v = 2.25 amps
Whereas in a car
27w @ 13.8v = 1.95a (each side)
(Assuming you are talking of low beam)
Hope that makes sense.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Just being devils advocate here, but for the cost of what’s involved here, and I could be wrong, but just buying a regular LED bulb for the lamp might be a bit easier and cheaper.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I bought LED H4 headlights a long time ago and tried them until I was told they are illegal so I'm going to use them in an old broken house lamp but I'm having a little trouble understanding the "draw" side to the specifications of the LED's, below is the ones I have and I've tried using just 12 volts @ 4 amps and its works fine but if the input is 9 to 32 volts does it always just use up to 13.8 volts because it has a voltage regulator? I haven't tried using a multimeter on an empty headlight socket yet to see what voltages are being used in the car but is 12 volts safe to use because of the draw? I understand the amps side where if a device needs 1 amp is ok to use a 2 amp power supply

View attachment 266884

It’s a little complicated to provide a full explanation, but for a simple explanation it is helpful to understand the difference between an electronically controlled LED and the (uncontrolled) incandescent bulb.

A traditional incandescent bulb can be thought of as a resistor, and using ohm’s law, the current will increase with the voltage. So, the bulb will draw more current (and be brighter) at 14.4V than at 12V. This is why you can often see yellow-light headlights on old cars with faulty alternators at night.

LEDs have a different voltage-current characteristic. They are almost ‘constant voltage‘ devices when they are on, and increasing the voltage slightly can result on a large current increase. So, instead, LEDs are driven by a ‘constant current’ source. This is what the ‘driver’ in an LED does - it provides a constant current to the actual LED elements in the light.

But there is more! There are a couple of ways of providing a ‘constant current’. The old fashioned way was using a ‘linear regulator’ which is effectively an electronically controlled resistance in series with the LED to keep the current at a steady/constant level. This varying ’resistor’ arrangement means that system will draw a constant current no matter what the voltage is, and the difference (in energy) is dissipated as heat. This is (probably) not what you have.

The more modern way is to actually electronically ‘transform’ the current using a ‘switching regulator’. It’s moderately complicated, but for the purposes of the explanation, it can be considered as an essentially loss-less process - power-in equals power-out, so the current drawn from the power supply will actually decrease as the voltage rises (to keep the power V x I constant). So if it draws 1.6 A at 13.8V (V x I = 22W) it’ll probably draw 0.8A at 27.6V (V x I = 22 W). This is probably what you have.

Last edited: