Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

transmission cooler for vz ss

2_stroke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Heya guys plan to cam my vz ss ls1, so I'm guessing to start with a transmission cooler, go a stage 2 shift kit and then onto cam/liffters ect. Never done much engine work besides a water pump and t/b clean ect. I guess ill be looking at a stall convertor of 2800 pending the final cam specs and I don't wanna cook the box which nearly every mate keeps saying ya better off not doing the cam with an auto. I've seen a few coolers about and most don't come with a fan, I would pref a kit with a fan and the largest cooler I can get my hands on as I will be doing this in stages and its my weekend fun ride. Any advice on coolers to go for would be great, most of the ones I have came across seem quite small and would they handle my application? How hot do these 4 speed boxes get and coup with? How much heat comes from running stall convertors in of 3k ish in city residential driving? What's needed to coup with the heat made? cheers for any input

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I have bought a PWR trans cooler and plan on adding a Spal fan with thermo switch at a later date.

Reactions: Lex

2_stroke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
might look into a thermo fan and control that keeps it at perfect temp so it’s fit and forget. I’ll post back when I get around to it just being flat out 7 days a week no time for fun lol

Reactions: Lex