Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transitioning from a Commodore to an EV

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Screenshot_20240117_135109.jpg

Screenshot_20240117_135501.jpg

As you can see from the Gaspy app, there is a huge variance between price and size of the chargers but many places do offer free which is cool, they use it to attract business.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
NZ will be a bad place to own an EV soon ...govts announced it will introduce road user charges on EV's this year... an eye watering $76 per 1000kms...

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Same price as a small diesel vehicle so it's all fair and square. EV's tend to be heavier than their petrol equivalents so probably more wear and tear on the roads and that is what you are paying for with RUC. Long overdue if you ask me.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Same price as a small diesel vehicle so it's all fair and square. EV's tend to be heavier than their petrol equivalents so probably more wear and tear on the roads and that is what you are paying for with RUC. Long overdue if you ask me.
thats what a couple or tesla owners overturned in victoria as the said it was unconstitutional to charge a EV per/km when they are ment to be saving the planet, so everyone is getting refunds dated back to when it started

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I can't speak for Aussie but for NZ I see RUC as the most fair option, distance travelled is the most accurate way to measure wear and tear coupled with vehicle weight and number of axles/tires on the road and that is exactly how the RUC system works in NZ. I would push to get the excise tax removed from petrol and have all vehicles charged via the RUC system.

There probably does need to be some adjustments because the system was designed for heavy diesel vehicles and basically everything under 3500kg is classed as a light vehicle. I would suggest they need to add a category for vehicles under 2000kg to allow for true passenger vehicles.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
thats what a couple or tesla owners overturned in victoria as the said it was unconstitutional to charge a EV per/km when they are ment to be saving the planet, so everyone is getting refunds dated back to when it started
That's not quite why Victoria lost the case. The issue is that it was deemed to be an excise, which can only be levied by the Commonwealth (see https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-19/owners-taxed-electric-vehicle-levy-730/102994460). It is inevitable that in the future, a FEDERAL road user tax will be applied to replace the excise that is raised by the fuel tax, and as @Immortality has indicated, it is perfectly fair/reasonable.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I agree that in the future it will be fair but in the mean time while governments are trying to encourage EV uptake then they should just be charging ICE and heavy vehicles more untill there is some sort of parity . Its hard enough to convince alot of people EV's are the way to go without adding more obstacles

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Don't think I'll ever buy another new car, with all the required ANCAP crap 'essential safety items' fitted to get 5 stars, it just takes the fun out of driving...

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I agree that in the future it will be fair but in the mean time while governments are trying to encourage EV uptake then they should just be charging ICE and heavy vehicles more untill there is some sort of parity . Its hard enough to convince alot of people EV's are the way to go without adding more obstacles
usually when something works and works better everyone goes to it naturally, forcing people to do anything usually dosnt work long term, the average age of all vehicles in aus is 10 years old and increasing, most of those will be people that cant afford to ever get a new vehicle and not worth the risk of purchasing a use EV until the battery costs come down to the 500-1000 bucks like a replacement engine its not going to be worth the used EV risk for the lower income people