Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just hang on there, I used to work in security and I kept them as a memento. :rolleyes:

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Either the accountant gave us wrong information or we misunderstood. Because last year he said if he delays is as long as he is allowed then we get extra time to pay. Clearly this is not the case. He did give us bad advice already in telling the wife when she was in business that she should create a company in order to save tax. What it did was cost us a lot because my income as a contractor didn't make any money after all my deductions. Wife will call them Wednesday to discuss it.
our accountant said the same.

my understanding was that it's not that you get more time to pay after notice, but that by waiting until the last day to lodge, you delay the lodgement giving you more time to come up with the inevitable payment amount. Still get the same amount of time after lodgement.

I can't explain why the due date is dated prior to lodgement however, that does seem wrong.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Either the accountant gave us wrong information or we misunderstood. Because last year he said if he delays is as long as he is allowed then we get extra time to pay. Clearly this is not the case. He did give us bad advice already in telling the wife when she was in business that she should create a company in order to save tax. What it did was cost us a lot because my income as a contractor didn't make any money after all my deductions. Wife will call them Wednesday to discuss it.

I’m not saying that this is the case in your circumstances, but your post does make me think of…

When I hear the term ‘save tax’, I take that as my cue to ask more questions. I have absolutely no doubt that the accountant, or whoever, can indeed save me tax. But the real question I usually want to know is ‘but will it save me money?’.

No point paying $1,000 to save $900 tax. All that does is put $1000 in to the accountant‘s pocket, and it deprives the government of $900 that could be going to public services and facilities. Hell, I wouldn’t even pay $800 to save $900 tax as, to me, it just over complicates things for too little benefit. Plus, as above, it would still deprives the government of money. I'd rather be contributing to the collective good of society than feathering the accountant’s nest.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I’m not saying that this is the case in your circumstances, but your post does make me think of…

When I hear the term ‘save tax’, I take that as my cue to ask more questions. I have absolutely no doubt that the accountant, or whoever, can indeed save me tax. But the real question I usually want to know is ‘but will it save me money?’.

No point paying $1,000 to save $900 tax. All that does is put $1000 in to the accountant‘s pocket, and it deprives the government of $900 that could be going to public services and facilities. Hell, I wouldn’t even pay $800 to save $900 tax as, to me, it just over complicates things for too little benefit. Plus, as above, it would still deprives the government of money. I'd rather be contributing to the collective good of society than feathering the accountant’s nest.
Yeah it was bad advice and I think we ended up paying more tax as a result. I don't know that for sure but last year's tax bill was ridiculous. This year is less than half but she lost the contract over a year ago and she made bugger all last financial year. I think he did us a disservice by giving us not enough information during the hour we sat with him. I don't know enough and the way he put it sounded great. This was until she got a massive tax bill. It was then he said "I thought you was going to be making a lot more money than you did" as in my side of the company, which had not turned a profit in probably 12 years I was operating after I took out all my expenses. Him being the professional o think should have asked more questions and explained things better. He was supposed to have closed the company last year, then we get an ASIC bill because he didn't close the company after all. He is supposed to be closing it this week. Been a ****-storm since we went to him. He was supposed to be good and came recommended. Hopefully after this last fiscal year we will be back on track, with the wife as a sole trader again and working part-time for an NGO.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
As it is I get pretty good tax concessions as I work for PBI. I do my own tax and have for around eight years. I just use My Gov, simple, as I have stuff all claims, bit of mileage, uniforms washing, my phone credit and that's about it.

In saying I get good tax concessions, it was interesting last pay I lost over 40% in tax on the few extra hours I worked, that I thought was hardly worth going in for. It did help though and I didn't have much choice as others were on leave.

It will be interesting to see what these tax cuts look like next year. Might actually get a decent amount back in mine in 2025.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
As for paying more tax, it's been a joke since the GFC, both governments have wasted copious amounts of our taxes. Might as well not give them any more than you have too. They seem to like wasting it, and have plenty of excuses why they need to spend on this and that all while not spending enough on what needs more money. I'm only a tax payer though so obviously pretty ill-informed and really have no idea on why they spend the money the way they do?

I still don't think Labor should have sunk us into debt back in the GFC. I also don't think every Gov that followed should have wasted the billions they did.

I could be wrong but I can't help but think had we not done so many cash splashes over the last decade or two whether we'd be in a much better position and not owing a bucket load of money to whoever we owe it to.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
As for paying more tax, it's been a joke since the GFC, both governments have wasted copious amounts of our taxes. Might as well not give them any more than you have too. They seem to like wasting it, and have plenty of excuses why they need to spend on this and that all while not spending enough on what needs more money. I'm only a tax payer though so obviously pretty ill-informed and really have no idea on why they spend the money the way they do?

I still don't think Labor should have sunk us into debt back in the GFC. I also don't think every Gov that followed should have wasted the billions they did.

I could be wrong but I can't help but think had we not done so many cash splashes over the last decade or two whether we'd be in a much better position and not owing a bucket load of money to whoever we owe it to.

I don’t think of it as a case of ‘paying more tax’. To me, it’s often a case of paying ‘less tax’ but also paying the accountant for their fees and services.

It’s a bit like when the tax agents advertise that their fees are tax deductible. That is true, so we can reduce our tax by claiming their fees as a tax deduction, but we still have to pay the difference between their fee and the tax saved. A ‘deduction’ reduces our ‘taxable income’, it’s not the same as an ‘tax offset’ (which would cover the full cost).

And all along, the tax agent gets their fee 100% paid. They don’t miss out at all. We do, and the government does.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don’t think of it as a case of ‘paying more tax’. To me, it’s often a case of paying ‘less tax’ but also paying the accountant for their fees and services.

It’s a bit like when the tax agents advertise that their fees are tax deductible. That is true, so we can reduce our tax by claiming their fees as a tax deduction, but we still have to pay the difference between their fee and the tax saved. A ‘deduction’ reduces our ‘taxable income’, it’s not the same as an ‘tax offset’ (which would cover the full cost).

And all along, the tax agent gets their fee 100% paid. They don’t miss out at all. We do, and the government does.
In our case we paid more tax and more accountant fees. It was a bad decision to form a company. We then had yearly fees to ASIC on top. I wish we never went through with it.

We just weren't making enough money that a company was the right way to go. Live and learn but now we have to pay capital gains on this house, something else he failed to mention when we signed up to be a company.

Last edited:

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
At #23175 you state the accountant is going to close the company, but you also mention at #23179 you will have to pay capital gains on the house, which means you either have the loan or the house in the company name (or both) I hope not, because that would mean the company owns your house, so before the accountant closes the company you must figure out exactly what is going on because if the house is tied up in the company and the company is closed you may have to sell the house to yourself and your wife and pay any capital gains now, (edit)along with stamp duties, legal fees, loan fees etc .
Same will apply to any other assets the company holds, cars etc etc
And I would suggest GST may also be payable by the company in that case as well.
So please firstly find out exactly what the fark is going on.

If the company has accrued losses then the company name may be able to be sold along with the losses which may then be valuable to the purchaser.

You may have a case against the accountant, but of course you must tread wisely and get legal advice in that case.

This is information to assist you, it is not to be taken as financial, legal, or taxation advice.
Good luck.

Last edited: