Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
The high school I attended decades ago (pre-internet) had the word college in its name.

Similar here. I went to a ‘technical college’ but while I was there, they had renamed it to a ‘technical school’. I’m not sure of the reason, but I had the impression that it was to do with the schools classification system at that time.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Wesley College, established in 1866, says stop sooking.
What about Scotch college?

I think there is a few more of those colleges around that area?

But then closer to home, there's Geelong college. Prince charlie ( you know him as King Charles) attended there. Forget the year.

Then there is all the Tafe colleges.

Then what about all the girls colleges?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Similar here. I went to a ‘technical college’ but while I was there, they had renamed it to a ‘technical school’. I’m not sure of the reason, but I had the impression that it was to do with the schools classification system at that time.
I went to Swinburne Technical school. Wouldn't let us use the tools, as in welders, lathes, grinders. Stuff like like that, in case we cut a hand off or similar, & they got sued by our parents?

Moved to nsw & went to a high school. All the kids new how to use those tools l mentioned earlier.

F#ck they even knew how to write proper sentences & all that stuff.
Gees l felt so stupid!o_O

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I went to Swinburne Technical school. Wouldn't let us use the tools, as in welders, lathes, grinders. Stuff like like that, in case we cut a hand off or similar, & they got sued by our parents?

Moved to nsw & went to a high school. All the kids new how to use those tools l mentioned earlier.

F#ck they even knew how to write proper sentences & all that stuff.
Gees l felt so stupid!o_O

I went to three different secondary schools. The first two years was at a country high school that had some technical school facilities. It was under resourced teacher-wise, but it was a great environment to learn the make-the-best-of-what-you-have philosophy (think of farmer’s approaches to things). The next two years was in a bigger regional town at a technical college. It was much better equipped, but seemed to teach the ‘proper way’ to do things, but it didn’t foster the ‘make do’ culture of the first school. (As an aside, I become the trusted student (aka ’suck’) there, so I was permitted to use some of the ‘teacher only’ equipment such as the radial arm saw).

My final two years of secondary education were at a TAFE college, so I was in the cohorts of the trade students as well as doing the academic subjects. I was in my elements as I always had a natural flair for ’doing things’ but I also enjoyed the ‘understanding things’ as well.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
F... me. Australians using the term "college". We have universities & TAFE's, not colleges.

I went to Regency College of TAFE.

Reactions: Lex

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
A college in the USA does not have the same meaning as it does here. A college in the USA starts in the 13th year of education. Save me typing it all out look it up.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Heard the gas advert on the radio today.

They are saying natural gas is ideal when renewables can't cope with the output on the days renewables aren't upto it...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
F... me. Australians using the term "college". We have universities & TAFE's, not colleges.
There are colleges in Australia......

There is a high school in the northern burbs of Adelaide that changed it's name from a high school to a college because the high school name had a very bad reputation....

BTW, they still teach kids from year 8 to 12....Not sure what's it's reputation is like these days though

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
In Tasmania, most schools don't go to year 12. Year 11 and 12 is college, at a school that only teaches years 11-12 and has been that way for decades. In the last 4-5 years some rural public schools have started doing 11-12.