Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things That Leave you Gobsmacked (In A Good Way)

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I miss my VP. I found the number in my phone of who bought it. That was ten years ago now. Sold it too cheap.

Number saved as “Bought my VP”.

I’m not calling it. That would be weird.
I have Maloo chick saved in my phone. I messaged her a while back asking if she would sell it back to me :D

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Well I am gobsmacked in a good way.
After losing over $400 with the Bonza Ponzi, I just got off the phone to Jet Star and wow, got free replacement flights to and from Townsville and all we had to pay was $30 to choose our seats.
Have to drive to Brisbane at 3.30am but used to that before Bonza started flying out of Sunny Coast Airport.
Parking at Andrews Airport Parking in Bris for the same cost as it was up here so all good.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I miss my VP. I found the number in my phone of who bought it. That was ten years ago now. Sold it too cheap.

Number saved as “Bought my VP”.

I’m not calling it. That would be weird.
Do it, and let us know the result. You could get lucky.
Not as if you are asking your primary school would-be wet- dream sweetheart on a date, out of the blue after XX years.
( No, I haven't done that, wouldn't know where to look, or try, but a bit too 'stalker weird'. )

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not as if you are asking your primary school would-be wet- dream sweetheart on a date, out of the blue after XX years.
( No, I haven't done that, wouldn't know where to look, or try, but a bit too 'stalker weird'. )
No, but a "friend" of yours did this hey? :p

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
No, but a "friend" of yours did this hey? :p
No. I was not relating a "friend's" experience. No real need to seek out past knockbacks.

Everybody that I went to school with, their newly adult ambition was to 'get out of town', and so we were spread far and wide across QLD, a lot joined the Army and the RAAF ............ 'cos Queen and Country stuff, which was the time before God and Gough.
I am very good at covering my tracks from the past, and not very good at re-living my personal past, ( except for cars ) because of too much work **** which I thought was important at the time, caused me grief, and now realise that it meant SFA in the big picture book.
Put your hand in a bucket of water, take your hand out, and then look for the hole it leaves in the water.

Don't even want to know where my old HQ Monaro is, as I would either be really envious or extremely disappointed.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Thanks

Update .
The genealogist, whose email address it was rang me this early arvo = good old chat and more to come .
Listening to her description of how she became involved = 1 **** event , mum accidently threw out and quite a few good gobsmacked ( in the good side )=events took place to = where now .
Where Now!!!
In the NSW State Library!!!
I got the impression that's where they're staying ( and I do wonder if that's not better ).
A little disappointed , I rang my youngest brother after talking to her and the same but they are on display and as relatives we can visit and access and read .
Asked about copies being made = answer = hopefully at the end of the week.
Genealogist also said there was 19 pages of service history for him , have looked but not in detail at this time.
She also said can get reproduction medals made .

My brother said his son ( turns 14 in a couple of weeks ) wants to join the army, joined the Army Cadets last year.
My brother while trying to be supportive , also trying to steer him.
I'm thinking through this part of the conversation = go Airforce ( I spent my working life in aviation = including ,I worked on RAAF 707 tankers, C130 Hercules transport and 14 years on FA18 Hornets,
And He said Airforce = yeah.
He has mentioned Officer training.
That would be super cool ( and proud ) to see a nephew as an Officer wearing his and my grandfathers and his Great Grandfathers medals.

Good news ,for anyone who wants to follow !
Genealogist , rang and emailed me= PA has 5 diaries from that time, they are completely digitised and freely available online, anyone is free to read and download/print the diaries.
My youngest brother also has an original photo of him ( with a signature on the photo ), ( guessing , he signed ) , and before he shipped out . he is getting copies made , so not only will I have 1 but also the NSW State library but also will end up sending a copy to the Australian War Memorial, according to the genealogist less than 400 photos of WW1 vets are there.
Photos guessing were a novelty at the time !!

Lest we forget !!!

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
thats awesome. My uncle & one of my cousins are the family historians, and the amount of items they have found & kept & documented is amazing. I am not as into it, but I am glad they did keep & document as much as they have as my Son has a keen interest.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
thats awesome. My uncle & one of my cousins are the family historians, and the amount of items they have found & kept & documented is amazing. I am not as into it, but I am glad they did keep & document as much as they have as my Son has a keen interest.

Our mum ,having hung onto all this stuff for a lifetime = ( WTF ) , gives away !!!
The somehow on the 25th 2024 !!
I hit right the right search and well here we are !!
Way back , Both my youngest brother and myself remember wearing ( as kids wearing his slouch hat ),
but, ( unfortunately , again , why , but it's now long gone )!!!
Also have got got to confirm my UNCLEs = he enlisted but in the RAAF for WW2 but never sore service!!

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Our mum ,having hung onto all this stuff for a lifetime = ( WTF ) , gives away !!!
The somehow on the 25th 2024 !!
I hit right the right search and well here we are !!
Way back , Both my youngest brother and myself remember wearing ( as kids wearing his slouch hat ),
but, ( unfortunately , again , why , but it's now long gone )!!!
Also have got got to confirm my UNCLEs = he enlisted but in the RAAF for WW2 but never sore service!!
I ran into my cousin at a local farm clearing auction, she told me she was there as this was an old family tie & she wanted some of the old books that related back to my family. (I was just there for a nosey! I did buy some 90's Holden brochures though)

I had no idea. I am sorry you don't have a family historian to help preserve the history.

I urge anyone who doesn't want to hold on to this stuff for any reason, to contact local services & see if they can hold it in their museum/archives. I would hate to think of the amount of information that has been lost over the years :(

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I ran into my cousin at a local farm clearing auction, she told me she was there as this was an old family tie & she wanted some of the old books that related back to my family. (I was just there for a nosey! I did buy some 90's Holden brochures though)

I had no idea. I am sorry you don't have a family historian to help preserve the history.

I urge anyone who doesn't want to hold on to this stuff for any reason, to contact local services & see if they can hold it in their museum/archives. I would hate to think of the amount of information that has been lost over the years :(

Yes , this personal history stuff is rare as and a snapshot to all our past as a nation .
I can't believe how lucky I've been to , mum's thrown out and have found so we still have/access to/ get to share with anyone.
I'm sure I've said here already , ( wish I'd asked but I doubt he would have said , I was 8 when he passed away , so not a thought ).
But the fortitude as a almost 32 year old to volunteer after 2 years of war,( surely would get news this is not a walk in the park = you are entering a serious life threatening situation) and yet he signed up!!!
While there is lots of **** in the world still today these people fort and died to where so many of us get to whinge about trivia now!!!