Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starter Motor Spanner EH onwards

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Paying around $300 for a ratchet that has a twig for a lever is beyond a joke, especially when you can see a $30 ratchet has a thicker lever.

And as a mechanic, you need your tools to do your job....Having to wait a week for that to be repaired is beyond a joke....

I have sp tools as well....I had an issue with the 3/8 ratchet in that kit....1/2 hour later I had a brand new one sitting back in my tool box....Majority of that time was heading to and from the shop for a free replacement....

I'm not compaining about it being bad to use...The complaint is simple...A twig for a lever. And you surposedly being a mechanic should be able to see the difference and see how pathetic it is

But your complaint is flawed, that lever has never broke on my 9 ratchets that have one, if you break that you're abusing the tool and it's operator error.
I have enough ratchets that if one is broken I can wait a week at most, as if I break it on a friday arvo it's a two working day wait, but besides that I don't have to drive to a shop for a warranty, plus I keep the original tool it just gets fixed.
This is a big deal, as I have a few flex-head ratchets, the heads have differing degrees of how stiff the flex-head is, if you get a whole new ratchet it's max stiff, whereas if I get a repair done then it is where it was prior to the break.

I agree that $300 is too much, even though they're closer to $400 now, but when I bought most of mine they were closer to $200 a ratchet.

You obviously don't own one, I bet if I through one in your tool box, the others would start to collect dust.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
This is the drum brake adjuster tool I was referring to, not sure if I made this one or came by it somehow.
Needless to say don't need it anymore.

Attachments

• DSCN1148.JPG
    DSCN1148.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 26

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
But your complaint is flawed, that lever has never broke on my 9 ratchets that have one, if you break that you're abusing the tool and it's operator error.
I have enough ratchets that if one is broken I can wait a week at most, as if I break it on a friday arvo it's a two working day wait, but besides that I don't have to drive to a shop for a warranty, plus I keep the original tool it just gets fixed.
This is a big deal, as I have a few flex-head ratchets, the heads have differing degrees of how stiff the flex-head is, if you get a whole new ratchet it's max stiff, whereas if I get a repair done then it is where it was prior to the break.

I agree that $300 is too much, even though they're closer to $400 now, but when I bought most of mine they were closer to $200 a ratchet.

You obviously don't own one, I bet if I through one in your tool box, the others would start to collect dust.

My complaint is flawed the fact a lever is as thick as a twig....Righto...Best you get your eyes tested and look how wafer thin they are.

Give a toss how many ratchets you may own....Simple fact is, having to wait days or weeks for them to be repaired is pathetic, considering I got a replacement ratchet within 1/2 hour...Oh and just to help things along....The store to have my SP ratchet replaced is on a way I can take home...So it's no biggie....

As for having it in my tool box and others collecting dust.....Don't think so....The picture is posted IS of the snap on one I own and it has had the lever broken for 4 years....Finding a snap on rep to have it repaired is near impossible, as they don't call into my work place....So that means I have to take some time off, when I find a rep and attempt to meet up with him to have it repaired....That's something I can't be stuffed doing, especially when I have 2 other 3/8 drive ratchets with a much thicker lever that the good old crap on one

Here you go...A picture showing how pathetic the lever actually is...Now compare that to my elcheapo $30 unit

1713593362146.png

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
This is the drum brake adjuster tool I was referring to, not sure if I made this one or came by it somehow.
Needless to say don't need it anymore.

Can't say I've seen a bought one like that, but definately looks good enough to do the adjustment easily with it

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think I want a set of those, I can see some circumstances they might be handy.