Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So, Who's Actually Buying One?

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Mate, if the VF doesn't sell in the US in reasonable numbers, there is little chance we will be making them here after 2016. The Australian market just isn't big enough to sustain a home grown car industry. The truth is, despite the fact that we are building great cars, less and less Australians are buying them. I'm not concerned about what price they are selling for in the US market, I'll be looking for bang for buck here in comparison to what I paid for my VE in 2011.

I loled when I read this.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Just like the inquiry of Microsoft, Apple and Adobe who were asked why Australians pay up to 400% more for identical items sold overseas, the answer was plain and simple, they price the products according to what their market will pay, so USA won't pay more than $400 for an iPhone, so $400 it is, but us Aussies WILL pay over $800 for one, so $800 it is. No different for cars, the yanks won't think it is worth paying more than $35k for the VF SS, so they won't sell it for more than that, however the VE S2 SSV retailed for $69K here, people were prepared to and did pay that, so that is what it was valued and priced at. Simple supply and demand logic.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Just like the inquiry of Microsoft, Apple and Adobe who were asked why Australians pay up to 400% more for identical items sold overseas, the answer was plain and simple, they price the products according to what their market will pay, so USA won't pay more than $400 for an iPhone, so $400 it is, but us Aussies WILL pay over $800 for one, so $800 it is. No different for cars, the yanks won't think it is worth paying more than $35k for the VF SS, so they won't sell it for more than that, however the VE S2 SSV retailed for $69K here, people were prepared to and did pay that, so that is what it was valued and priced at. Simple supply and demand logic.

If the Yank pricing was the same as ours (around 60K) the top of the line spec would be competing in the same price range as a BMW M3 Coupe, C63 AMG and the Audi S7 sedan. I can tell you now I know what I wouldn't choose... the Holden.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
You can't make a direct comparison with US car prices vs Aus. There is no doubt that the Australian consumer is screwed over by every car company. Mercedes Benz & BMW lead the charge however Toyota and the like are right up there too. You also need to consider all the taxes and charges such as GST & LCT + various on roads which are advertised (mostly) as all inclusive in Australia yet aren't in USA as most are state based charges and are never quoted.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
If the Yank pricing was the same as ours (around 60K) the top of the line spec would be competing in the same price range as a BMW M3 Coupe, C63 AMG and the Audi S7 sedan. I can tell you now I know what I wouldn't choose... the Holden.

See, that's exactly how it works, they know what people are willing to pay for what, and price accordingly, it's nothing to do with the value of the car retail where it was built, if it were, Great Wall would be selling their utes here for $100

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
See, that's exactly how it works, they know what people are willing to pay for what, and price accordingly, it's nothing to do with the value of the car retail where it was built, if it were, Great Wall would be selling their utes here for $100

100% spot on. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Don't be dissing Great Walls now :supersad: My family owns 3 as work cars. For what they are, they're bloody amazing.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
hehe no dissing them, but I bet what they pay for one in China is much less than what they retail for here.