Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service engine oil

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My VZ Cross 6 alloytech ( 90,800km ) has started displaying a “Service engine oil” with a dripping oil-can icon, for a few seconds when I turn the ignition on, then it goes through the service checks and comes up with “OK”. This display comes up again when I switch it off.
I have not found any threads that mention this specific display, but similar threads do mention other factors.
Oil is of the correct type, and I don’t get any warning lights while driving.
I don’t have any evidence of a “vegemite” sludge problem, and the oil and filter were changed 300km ago, before that 5,000km, and 1000km after I bought it, even though the previous owner said it had been recently serviced, so it has probably had 4 oil changes within 10,000km. Each time the oil was clean, not black, gooey or watery.
It has not been overheated....coolant, radiator cap and housing, and water pump all new 5000km ago.
My uneducated guesses are, disconnect battery for a while, wrong oil filter, or oil pressure switch problem.
Advice please.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
I've heard it's a software glitch. You could try the reset for service:

Hold the up and down arrows whilst turning on ignition, it will beep, the hold set until it beeps again, usually about 3 seconds. Dunno if this will work.

Otherwise might be a trip to holden to fix it. Or you may have low voltage due to stuffed alternator or battery, this can sometimes set off all sorts of errors, but usually you'd get a random ABS as well.

Disconnect battery is always a good start to reset everything. Do it!!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sounds like the oil life indicator that VE have ( but isn't connected in Australia ) is also on your car but is actually working on your car ! Try resetting it, and then go into engineering mode if you can and check it, should say 99%

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Thanks for the suggestions, but my fumblings over the weekend did not achieve anything, the message was still coming up, so this morning I rang NRMA Motorserve who do my servicing, explained what was happening, and they diagnosed a faulty oil pressure switch.
What was wrong with it ? No particular reason....just happens.
By the time I got to the service centre, they had the part, fitted it for no labour cost, checked codes, no more problem....................fixed. ( I hope ).

auxi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz acclaim
Thanks for the suggestions, but my fumblings over the weekend did not achieve anything, the message was still coming up, so this morning I rang NRMA Motorserve who do my servicing, explained what was happening, and they diagnosed a faulty oil pressure switch.
What was wrong with it ? No particular reason....just happens.
By the time I got to the service centre, they had the part, fitted it for no labour cost, checked codes, no more problem....................fixed. ( I hope ).

I had the same problem in my vz acclaim got the oil pressure switch changed it disappeared until just before I got my car serviced about a month ago they tried reseting it about 10 times didn't work, Then again they thought I had an aftermarket dash because the load screen load's up as Chevrolet because my mate decided hes a funny kid with a tech 9.
It disappeared for about 6 months in total.