Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Saw a VF on side of road - had black / chrome bonnet vents...

ZX14RVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SS
Saw a 2015 SS VF parked up the other day and something really caught my eye in comparison to my 2016 model.
The plastic bonnet vents were black but the inserts "louvres" were chrome.
This looked better than the idea might sound, because it matched the front guard inserts. It also only caught your eye from specific angles...sometimes I couldn't tell if it was original black, but then when the sun hit it, I had to get a closer look. It wasn't the transformer paint - it was just plastic chrome, but being beneath the surface had a weird effect.

Has anyone ever seen these vents on offer to purchase or do you think this was a personal paint / custom job?

I'm thinking of buying some cheap Ebay fake vents and painting them to experiment.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. custom job me thinks

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yep agree with Smitty, there was no factory option or special edition like that.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Saw a 2015 SS VF parked up the other day and something really caught my eye in comparison to my 2016 model.
The plastic bonnet vents were black but the inserts "louvres" were chrome.
This looked better than the idea might sound, because it matched the front guard inserts. It also only caught your eye from specific angles...sometimes I couldn't tell if it was original black, but then when the sun hit it, I had to get a closer look. It wasn't the transformer paint - it was just plastic chrome, but being beneath the surface had a weird effect.

Has anyone ever seen these vents on offer to purchase or do you think this was a personal paint / custom job?

I'm thinking of buying some cheap Ebay fake vents and painting them to experiment.

You have to ask how a 2015 SS has bonnet vents in the first place. They might be the ‘stick on’ look alike one that have been painted?

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I imagine some chrome vinyl wrap , the fake vents sit higher than original , but always possible he swapped it for S2

ZX14RVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SS
I now wish I took a photo - it looked awesome.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
I imagine some chrome vinyl wrap , the fake vents sit higher than original , but always possible he swapped it for S2
... or haha
used an angle grinder to fit the vents !

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
You have to ask how a 2015 SS has bonnet vents in the first place. They might be the ‘stick on’ look alike one that have been painted?
Series 2 was released in September 2015

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Series 2 was released in September 2015
Yes but you wouldn’t refer to that as a “2015 VF“ because they’re the same as a 2016 (ie. you can't tell the difference without seeing the build plate or similar).

Last edited:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes but you wouldn’t refer to that as a “2015 VF“ because they’re the same as a 2016.
yup.. correct. MY16 was released at the end of Sept 2015