Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rumours of VE GTS Coupe

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
I can't remember which magazine it was, but it brought on a new spate of rumours about there being a VE GTS in the Coupe body. The engne being no other than the LS7. Myself, I'm doubtful. The only way I see this happening is if HSV graft the Coupe shell onto the VE chassis, as (as much as I hate to admit it) the current set up just wont handle the power, nor will it be able to stand up to todays handling standards, as it's just gettin too old. The other option is the GTS goin full race spec, with upgraded suspension, and among other requirements, a cage, which would open up a whole new realm of chassis tuning.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
umm, so you're saying that they will either put the curret looking gts coupe onto a ve chassis or the new ve style body a a 2door onto current vz chassis? im lost.

what id see them doing for a ve coupe, is to use the ve chassis as a base and shorten the chassis and body, lengthen doors, etc. same as how they did the current monaro.

to cope with the LS7, id assume the ve chassis should be pretty strong anyway, and if not, theyd just strengthen it.

V

VX_KN079

The "current" coupe models (Monaro, GTO, GTS and all variants) have been ditched due to lower than forecast sales. You won't see them manufactured BRAND NEW again.

As for a VE coupe variant, anything you hear is purely hearsay. Holden haven't confirmed or denied anything to do with the VE lineup that will be release in Aug/Sept except that there will be a delay in the VE wagon and ute (possibly 6 - 12 months). IMHO I doubt they'll release a two door VE coupe model of any kind. I still think they're going to surprise everyone and release a hatch/fast back design of some kind.

Remember the VT Coupe Concept car? Well they did the same thing with the Torana - it's testing the waters for a VE Commodore variant... There was possitive reaction and I for one hope they do relase something like that under a VE guise - I would buy one!

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
The "current" coupe models (Monaro, GTO, GTS and all variants) have been ditched due to lower than forecast sales. You won't see them manufactured BRAND NEW again

Only Holden has stopped the Monaro, HSV have continued on with the GTO Coupe. The GTS Coupe hasn't been built for a year or 2 now. Exports of the Coupe have also continued.

umm, so you're saying that they will either put the curret looking gts coupe onto a ve chassis or the new ve style body a a 2door onto current vz chassis? im lost.

I'm sayin they could put the current coupe shell onto the VE chassis, or use the same car they have now (ie current chassis), but with a race-spec set up with a cage and so on.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
ok, hsv will be stopping the coupe, just not yet, the exports will stop also, just not yet. and i seriously cant see them continuing a obsolete chassis just to keep the monaro or keeping the same shell. it would be like continuing to make a vs shell on a vt chassis, theres no point. theyve spent big money on designing a new chassis and body, they will have something designed if theyre gonna make a coupe again. but i too would like to see a torana comeback.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
There is supposed to be a VE GTS released with the Series 2 range. It will feature a 7.0 Litre 373kw Gen IV out of the latest Corvette. However as far as i know its only going to be in 4 door form, but i have heard alot of talk of a Coupe that is not simply a 2 door version of a commodore, although it will be still come from the same platform.

The HSV GTS has bought Holden and HSV alot of world attention, from the first 300kw GTS 4 door that rolled off the production line, being the fastest 4 door sedan in the world at the time. Its become their flagship model, especially the Coupe version so its hard to see HSV and Holden just let it die.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
ERRR Your actually wrong, In the VE range, There will be no coupe`...

Torana... Yes it's true, I've read in a few magazines, no names will be disclosed, and read on a couple of sites. The Torana will be replacing the monaro... The Monaro will be back in late 2007-Mid 2008... This is all info from the horses mouth...

The Torana will not be a concept much longer....Don't you all remember, Monaro concept based on VT Coupe, BANG Monaro........ Torana concept you remember the tail light detailing and front end... Go take a look at the "cloaked" spy shots of the ve.... Shape very similar...

The Torana will be a VE Model..

Don't you remember the Motor in the Torana concept... Take a good look at it, Take a good look at the new V6 alloytec, And does anyone remember, Twin turbo alloytec 6... 280kw
Cheers
MaT

V

VX_KN079

I'd like to know who the "horse's mouth" is you say you have heard all this from. I'd love to be able to believe you but the only people who would KNOW would be Holden people, and anyone leaking any of this would seriously be risking their jobs.

I know if I was in the know, I wouldn't want to leak anything...

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
HoZy said:
ERRR Your actually wrong, In the VE range, There will be no coupe`...

Torana... Yes it's true, I've read in a few magazines, no names will be disclosed, and read on a couple of sites. The Torana will be replacing the monaro... The Monaro will be back in late 2007-Mid 2008... This is all info from the horses mouth...

The Torana will not be a concept much longer....Don't you all remember, Monaro concept based on VT Coupe, BANG Monaro........ Torana concept you remember the tail light detailing and front end... Go take a look at the "cloaked" spy shots of the ve.... Shape very similar...

The Torana will be a VE Model..

Don't you remember the Motor in the Torana concept... Take a good look at it, Take a good look at the new V6 alloytec, And does anyone remember, Twin turbo alloytec 6... 280kw
Cheers
MaT

Everything in this section is speculation at the moment mate. All we're doin is postin what we hear and what we'd like to become a reality. You say there will be a Torana Concept based model. How do you know? Although the odds are really good, it may have just been a design test dummy (I doubt it, but it's possible). Holden doesn't bring out production models of all concepts. Remember the UTEster? The awesome ute with the romovable roof? Where's the production version (it was a R&D tool for the yellow the Monaro came out in). Then there's the Sandman. The list goes on of concepts that never came to life.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
HoZy said:
The Torana will not be a concept much longer....Don't you all remember, Monaro concept based on VT Coupe, BANG Monaro

/me waits patiently for Efigy production car