Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing Door

melodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute
So.. my drivers side window jammed up (manual) took card off to find some numpty had doctored a dodgy non vs mechanism and popriveted in place. Been such a nightmare to try and get it out and am considering just replacing the entire door at this point (rivets through from, not where they should be)

So.. have an offer of a door, what should I look out for and how do I refit central locking to the new door if I go this way?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I gather the door on offer is from an earlier model than what you have ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Disconnect the door harness, bang out the hinge pins and the check strap in. and fit the new door. The CL mechanism sounds like its no good anyway. The hardest part will be changing over the key barrel. Also if yours is a Series III you will need the later actuator to fit your harness.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
You can’t remove the dodgy window regulator and replace it with a correct one? Easier than switching out a whole door. (Those door pins are a pita)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
(Those door pins are a pita)
I can change a door over easy in 30 mins. But I spent about an hour just staring at the external door lever and then decided it was all to hard and put the trim back on and decided faded and chipped black it is.

melodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute
I gather the door on offer is from an earlier model than what you have ?
No, same model. Just not sure if the central locking just hooks up or I need to replace?

melodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute
You can’t remove the dodgy window regulator and replace it with a correct one? Easier than switching out a whole door. (Those door pins are a pita)
That's where I'm at, deciding

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I can change a door over easy in 30 mins. But I spent about an hour just staring at the external door lever and then decided it was all to hard and put the trim back on and decided faded and chipped black it is.
handles I can do. I have had way too many stuck pins, so I avoid door swaps. I have cut hinges before from wrecks just so I didn't have to fight the pins.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Usually to remove riverts, you drill through them with the same size drill bit, or at worst, chop the headfs off with a sharp chisel (I use a carpenters chisel bc I have a few).

I had replace a window mechanism and window and drilled out the riverts then replaced the riverts with some 3/16" stainless bolts and nuts (only cause it looked easier and I had them, and I had no long 3/16" riverts )

Replacing the lock is not all that hard but fiddly, and I think I used side cutters to move the U shaped clip holding the lock.
Have not done one in a number of years so really cannot remember.

If you are right handed, drivers side door internals are fiddly where as passanger side are usually easier.
Of course if you are left handed then the reverse applies.

I remember removing the door pins in a door and cut a slot in a cold chisel to use to start the pins moving.
I used the 100mm/4" angle grinder to cut the piece out of the chisel but I am sure I have seen specific tools for the job on ebay..

Before you start I suggest vacuuming the bottom of the door to remove any dirt bc you will most likely drop something.
Then vac again when completed to remove any drilling swarf.
I have a couple of small magnets for retrieval of said dropped items.

As to central locking if you go that route it will become clearer once you have the 2 doors to look at so take pics of both and print them if you can for reference as you go.

Of course if in doubt I pull the oxy torch out.:eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

melodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute
Usually to remove riverts, you drill through them with the same size drill bit, or at worst, chop the headfs off with a sharp chisel (I use a carpenters chisel bc I have a few).

I had replace a window mechanism and window and drilled out the riverts then replaced the riverts with some 3/16" stainless bolts and nuts (only cause it looked easier and I had them, and I had no long 3/16" riverts )

Replacing the lock is not all that hard but fiddly, and I think I used side cutters to move the U shaped clip holding the lock.
Have not done one in a number of years so really cannot remember.

If you are right handed, drivers side door internals are fiddly where as passanger side are usually easier.
Of course if you are left handed then the reverse applies.

I remember removing the door pins in a door and cut a slot in a cold chisel to use to start the pins moving.
I used the 100mm/4" angle grinder to cut the piece out of the chisel but I am sure I have seen specific tools for the job on ebay..

Before you start I suggest vacuuming the bottom of the door to remove any dirt bc you will most likely drop something.
Then vac again when completed to remove any drilling swarf.
I have a couple of small magnets for retrieval of said dropped items.

Of course if in doubt I pull the oxy torch out.:eek:
Is the oxygen to burn the car? (Been a bit troublesome)