Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing HVAC to get to recirc door

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The plenum opening where the optional pollen filter is installed.
Ahhh, the wiper plenum? I have a filter to replace my old one but am yet to tackle it, because I want to replace the heat shield too so the job just keeps getting more complicated, hahaha.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Why are we attempting to get to the HVAC recirc door? Ok, nvm just read last post.

All this removal from the inside, and dismantling the HVAC case is not nessesary to remove a broken recirc door and fit a new door. It can all be done from the outside through the plenum.
I tried that when I did mine but no dice. There isn’t enough space to get the door in and out without severely bending it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There is a way. Holden did it for years when there was a phase of recirc doors needing replacing under warranty.

No one knows how they did it.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
I tried that when I did mine but no dice. There isn’t enough space to get the door in and out without severely bending it.
It's a squeeze, but done easy enough.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It's a squeeze, but done easy enough.
I wasn’t going to risk a $147 recirc door to find out. Pulling the fan plenum is the smart choice unless you’re made of money or your replacement recirc door cost SFA.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
I wasn’t going to risk a $147 recirc door to find out. Pulling the fan plenum is the smart choice unless you’re made of money or your replacement recirc door cost SFA.
Ok, each to their own.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Ok, each to their own.
Yup, you say tomato, I say tomahto...

I had a good look for an explanation on how to do it via the engine bay/cabin air. Most of the explanations did not convince me they had actually done it themselves. Even when I was satisfied THEY had actually done it, the explanations were scant on detail. When I'm mucking around with this stuff I want at least a fair idea on how to get the job done. Lots of people say "you just do it via this" - no explanation. That's not helpful, and potentially dangerous mechanically and/or financially! Of course, its a forum - buyer beware and everyone has a right to say what they want (within reason).

I have absolutely no idea how people manage the dexterity of changing out the recirc door via the cabin air. They obviously have more dexterity than me. One of my recirc door star pivots (actuator-side, of course) basically disintegrated on release, throwing plastic everywhere - that'd be fun being sucked into the blower - and when you can't get to it to clean out? Well, better open up the fan/blower now...

If you KNOW what you're up against (ie. You KNOW the system and its little intricacies etc) then I could see how people want to do it an 'easier' way. Fair enough. The thing is, I didn't have a clue. Although I was happy to learn on the job, I didn't want to break stuff.

In hindsight, I'm seriously really happy I did it from the interior. I've learned alot. I reckon it would now take me 15-30mins to take out again - rather than days. I now know what works, and what does not. I could also give that side of the assembly and blower a damn good clean. My blower was disgusting since the cabin air still had the original 'leaf mesh' only. I'll post some pics soon. I have also replaced my recirc door actuator (can't do that going through the front), a no-brainer when you have the assembly out.