Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question on HF20 Wheels

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Seems over the years the "forged" name has been progressively weakened to encompass cheaper manufacturing methods using varied techniques. But AIUI, spinning has never been classified as forging so not sure wny it became such? Heck wheel hub caps used to be spun and nobody ever called them "forged"..
Ironically the brand of wheels on my Redline ute are "Forgestar" likely giving the impression that all of their wheels are forged. Although the company does a custom forged wheel, the shelf wheels I purchased are called "flow forged" which is a cast centre and spun rim. I must say for a cast/spun construction, they're not overly heavy and spin up true with minimal weight required for balancing. Compared with the popular Australian supply of Commodore wheels, the quality of the USA made Forgestar wheels are massively better. They cost me $4100 AUD landed from the USA mid 2022.

I have couple of sets of forged rims, a two piece KWC set and a three piece HRE set.
That red VE ute excites me panhead, looks killer!

If the SA guys who know me well were asked to guess who owns it, they'd name me unanimously!

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Exactly, a true set of proper 'forged" wheels would certainly be expensive.
The BMW Signature Forged wheels (proper one's) I bought in from the USA 2019 were around $6800 AUD landed. They'd go well over 10k looking at today's prices for the same wheels.

These are ultra-light weight machined from a forged billet.

20200717_195255.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The BMW Signature Forged wheels (proper one's) I bought in from the USA 2019 were around $6800 AUD landed. They'd go well over 10k looking at today's prices for the same wheels.

View attachment 267878

Yet our govco tells us inflation is 4% which is just a little higher than RBA’s sweet spot of 2-3% :eek:

Guess forged wheels aren’t part of the CPI basket of goods…

Still, pollies are fcuken liars, the lot of them:mad:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

View attachment 267878

I ordered the KWC's for my E Series Clubsport and they arrived in February 2008 on the same day I picked up the red Ute from the dealer.

So, I used the new Ute to take the rims to the tyre shop and while I was sitting watching the tyres be fitted, I started wondering what they would look like on the Ute.

I asked the shop to fit them on the Ute and that's where they stayed, the R8 was left with its factory rims.

After I sold the red Ute, I fitted them to my Poison Ivy Ute and I still have them today, they are wrapped up with brand new Pirelli P Zeros and in storage.

My HRE's are also very light, you can carry them around with just your little finger.

I ordered them in late in 2009 while I had a 10 month wait for the Merc to arrive, they were $11,000 back in 2009.

The beauty of the 3 piece HRE's, is if you damage the inner or outer barrels you can get replacement barrels fitted.

I cracked the inner barrel on one of the front ones when I hit a wash away in the rain and HRE sent me a new barrel to repair it.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
That red VE ute excites me panhead, looks killer!

If the SA guys who know me well were asked to guess who owns it, they'd name me unanimously!

Having seen your cars, I take that as a real compliment.

1715345687991.jpeg

1715345889585.jpeg

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I ordered the KWC's for my E Series Clubsport and they arrived in February 2008 on the same day I picked up the red Ute from the dealer.

So, I used the new Ute to take the rims to the tyre shop and while I was sitting watching the tyres be fitted, I started wondering what they would look like on the Ute.
I had the Simmons wheels, springs and shocks and a set of RDA rotors we got for free to test waiting in the shed whilst my Redline ute was in transit from QLD. It rolled up on a tilt tray and that day, and I drove it whilst stock to the rego inspection place on a permit about 14km's from us.

That night I had the springs and shocks in, the RDA rotors and Simmons wheels on and did a manual wheel alignment the following day. Here's the first photo I took on the road test after the mods. I had already scratched the lower driver's door opening it on a toolbox and had the track stipes ordered after seeing a photo of your ute thinking the track stripes look good and will cover the scratch!

20201021_130359.jpg

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Jeez that thing’s “sexy-time” with those wheels!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
They look great !