Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ConnorJames05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
You ever hate being right? Cause I do. Check this out
Can’t upload the photos cause they’re too big apparently. But my whole handbrake shoe was loose, and CHEWED up. Real bad. As I pulled the disc off, pieces just crumbled out of it. Seems **** got pretty cooked.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
It should be. When ever I’ve done it, I crack the shits and walk away for a bit. The whole spring thing annoys me. That linked video, old mate there was also challenged by it. It’s why I posted it. He reflects the experience most will have.

There are a couple of things in those videos that are a little different from what’s in the manual.

Firstly, the second video that shows the ‘major’ handbrake service kit. There is also a ‘minor’ kit that only comes with the shoes. The major kit also includes the (coil) spring and bracket which are the ‘upgrade components’ for the earlier Commodores (pre VY?) which didn’t have the anti-thump springs fitted at the factory. If your car already has that bracket, it doesn’t need to be replaced, it’s just in the kit in case it is needed. The anti-thump spring was supposed to help prevent a banging thump when reversing after releasing the handbrake (or something like that).

The first video has the handbrake adjusted so the shoes were still dragging. I believe they need to be backed off a bit more. But the complication with the ‘no drag’ method is that the anti-thump spring actually pulls on the handbrake shoe which makes it harder to judge when it is backed off enough. There is an alternative method to adjust the handbrake which involves measuring to set the clearance (I‘ll see who bites at my use of the word ‘clearance’ and brake adjustment :) ). However, that method can only be done with the disc/drum removed.

If someone has the VY manual, it might show the preferred method to do the ‘no drag’ method as the anti-thump springs were standard from that model.

Here are the two methods from the VT/VX manual…

IMG_2867.jpeg

IMG_2868.jpeg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Can’t upload the photos cause they’re too big apparently. But my whole handbrake shoe was loose, and CHEWED up. Real bad. As I pulled the disc off, pieces just crumbled out of it. Seems **** got pretty cooked.
In your photos, turn the phone opposite to the way it was taken. Screen shot it. Crop out the image back to it’s original orientation and you now have a photo that can be uploaded.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I couldn't get it to play just sits and spins before timing out. I thought it might have been same as VE which suck big time.

ConnorJames05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
In your photos, turn the phone opposite to the way it was taken. Screen shot it. Crop out the image back to it’s original orientation and you now have a photo that can be uploaded.
Here they are

Attachments

• IMG_6208.jpeg
    IMG_6208.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6209.jpeg
    IMG_6209.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6210.jpeg
    IMG_6210.jpeg
    730.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6211.jpeg
    IMG_6211.jpeg
    408.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6212.jpeg
    IMG_6212.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 35

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Ok so a good lesson for everyone to check handbrake shoes.

They look original and untouched for 25ish years. Pothole finally ended it.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Here they are
I checked mine a few years ago. Reason the hand was unadjustable from the inside.
The right setup was diffent to the left side. (l may have tis a#se around?)
I have another vt too, the handbrake works as it should & still does.

But as mentioned earlier, mine wasn't set up correctly. So l copied the setup from the vt that worked correctly to my vt.
Now my vt hand brake works as it should.