Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Post Pictures of your VL here.

vlalx095

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 vl sl
hey im 16 and this is my commodore

k so i had a vk brock ss with a 308 5speed manual to a borgwarner diff, only problem was that the guy that gave it to me had shattered a spark plug and on removal dropped a shitload of the porceleton (the white glassy ****) into the second cylinder. and it had a smashed front bumper. so as a dumb little twelve year does i got a vaccum cleaner into the sparkplug hole and turned the crank shaft just over top dead centre so i could suck all the glassy **** out and get the air compressor into it. after i got all the **** out and put a few drops of oil into the cylinder i replaced the spark plug, then i started the car and it ran beautifully after that. i was the happiest twelve yr old out.

so anyway after that i really got into cars and decided tha t i wanted to move onto other projects because i knew i wouldnt be able to keep the v8, so i had a look around and my uncle had a tidy stock-as-a-rock 86 vl. he really wanted to do up a brock commodore and i just wanted a 6 cylinder so i could drive it on my p's. i told my uncle he could have the vk for 5 grand and the vl and he was more than happy to take the deal.

only thing was i got ripped off majorly because he said the vl was running with a big garret turbo and he said it was manual with a disc brake lsd,
it was just a piece of **** grandmas car with a good paint job, so i knew 5 grand wouldnt get me up to streeter car and i had to get a part time job which gave me about 250 a week. immediatly i replaced all sensors and fuel pumps,filters and regulators. and no fire. the i replaced all spark plugs, coil and dizzy. still nothing then i replaced the airflowmeter and ecu and got my cousing to fully rewire the fuse bow. nothing i did wold work so i left the engine alone and started building up the intereior and exterior.

i got some nice vn calais seats, trimmed the backseat and covered them up with some black southern cross seat covers,

installed a 1500x4w kenwood sterio running 2 auspower6x6s and 2 kenwood 6x9s. then 2 big hardface kicker subs of a kicker amp

got an aftermarket steering wheel, neons under the dash, aftermarket pedals after market door handles and window winders and an inducer(lets me plug in 2 tvs and an xbox 360.)

got rid of the stock wheels and bought some 17x8 mags and lowered the springs,,( not with grinder)

by then i was 15 and broke and then doing the car up got slower and slower and i finally needed help. i asked my dad for help with the engine and he knows nothing about efi systems so he just bought a few cans of aerostart and sprayed about a bottle and a half down the intake manifold.(a few pops but no ignition) i thought timimng was out a few degrees so i took a look at the dizzt that my dumb#### so called mechanic mate intsalled and it was 180 degres out. (fair enough the 1 piston hits top dead centre twice before it combusts) he should have known that for a mechanic.

but ohhwell i put it back 180 degrees and it started to sound like it was firing and then it started ! but as sonn as we stopped sprayin aerostart it died. so then we knew that injectors were the problem and i had a look at all connector and leads. the main plug that leads to the injectors was full of water because my uncle wash the engine bay with a gerney so it would look good when i picked it up.

so i blew it all out and strait away the car started by itself.. what a #### of a car a vl can be !! ficking 1800 dollars all new gear for the engine when i could have made big mods. all for a little bit of water.

ohhwell guees the car is extremley reliable now. anyway theres my ####ed up story on my vl and heres what it looks like now alexs vl commodore.jpg

Ryback

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais V8 Manual
This is my toy.... VL 5l Manual out of a VT. Just needs some TLC around the kit and the paint work.

Attachments

• V8 Holden motor.jpg
    V8 Holden motor.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 967
  • V8 Holden.jpg
    V8 Holden.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 520
  • 317127_2111659875965_1379674799_31773961_2088683375_n.jpg
    317127_2111659875965_1379674799_31773961_2088683375_n.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 431

VL ALL THE WAY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 88 VL Vacationer wagon
My VL project

Heres mine. Freshly painted vacationer so far it owes me just under $1000 and a few hours work
attachment.php
attachment.php
Found a set of chrome door handles off a VK for extra bling still got to fit some of the exterior trim roof racks, wipers etc but it's getting there. Stereo is a fusion ipod head unit with a JVC 700watt rms sub amp and two pioneer 400 watt rms 1200 watt peak each twin voice coil 12" subs. Now all it needs is a nice set of rims, tints and fit the replacement interior going from tan to blue/grey & black.

Last edited:

mrvl86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo
Here is my vl, few old pics and some new ones since i've had it. Going for a sleeper look which it gets away with nicely... until the car is started!

On the to do list:
injectors
ecu
paint

Below is some info:

ENGINE
Block bored, honed, decked, rotating assembly balanced, blueprinted, chemically cleaned, crack tested, prepped, standard crack (grub screwed), motorsport rods, ACL forged pistons 20 thou, 8.02:1 compression, ACL piston rings, ARP stud kit, ACL bearings, heavy duty valve springs, Crane retainers, Wade 818c/1147, CNC ported inlet n outlets, Gates blue racing belt, Gates water pump, GTR oil pump, 3 core radiator, BF XR8 fan, bosch 044 fuel pump, new in tank pump, SARD adjustable fuel reg, new hoses throughout. Turbo is 35/40 front cover .70 sierra wheel, t3 rear housing (where the dump joins to the rear of the turbo the inside lip was machined to flow better) 12psi actuator, new turbo seals.

EXHAUST
Standard exhaust manifold, single 3" stainless steel 1 piece exhaust system, high-flow 100 cell cat, magnaflow muffler

GEARBOX
4spd jatco rebuilt and strengthened to 350kw, TCE 2500 stall, trans cooler, reco tailshaft.

DIFF/BRAKES
Disc to disc 28 spline full spool og vlt diff. vl turbo brakes up front.

INTERIOR
Beige SL Interior, 3 AUTOMETER gauges, boost, water temp & oil temp.

Picture011.jpg
3-2.jpg22092010068.jpgIMG_0890scrubplate.jpgIMG_0880scrubplate.jpgIMG_1239scrubplate.jpg

coastvl

Member from the dead!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EQUIPE six
Here's my old girl. I had her 13 years. It's still driving around town in great condition. Clocked 400,000 k's as the guy drove off after buying it.
heaps more pics in my Cardomain pages below.
2006-05-28011.jpg

2006-07-15004.jpg

Dads_Plate_photos_0004.jpg

VXCALS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Series 1 Sportswagon
my old daily

vl sl, factory 5spd, just had extractors and rear muffler removed and lowered

028.jpg

vlvlvl

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s .. vl exec
my old vl

this old girl was sitting next to my pops old house.so i went and knocked on the door asked the old bloke is she for sale.he said why who are you i said my pop lives next door he said ohh true.old bloke said you wanna buy it i said yeah he said give me wat uve got.i told well ive only got 200 on me at the moment.i said i can give you more what do you want for your vl.he goes look man dont worry about money just take it.so i took it found out info about the car he was the second owner his had the car since 1988 it had 25,000 k on the clock when he got it and only put 100,000 k on it so it had 125,000 when i got it.drive very smooth still had balls for a stocky. no rust always under car port.the car was near imac.it had 10 mths rego.pensioner lol.so i put chasers on it painted the bumpers silver.the next week later it got STOLEN.:cry: to this day car hasnt been found its been 3 years.these are the only pics i got of her.i wonder where she is..

Attachments

• SAM_0594.JPG 1.jpg2.jpg
    SAM_0594.JPG 1.jpg2.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 545
  • vl.jpg1.jpg
    vl.jpg1.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 804

VL ALL THE WAY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 88 VL Vacationer wagon
Here's my wagon