Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P1915 - Have some questions about the 5L40-E trans, and its wiring

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
Car is a 2006 WM 6 cyl Caprice. It's had some occasional error codes related to the auto trans in the past 6 months, but in the last couple of weeks, it's got significantly worse. P1915 relates to "internal mode switch start/wrong range". The IMS is a switch inside the gearbox that tells the auto trans computer what gear the trans is in, and I presume the auto trans computer then tells the engine computer and BCM what gear the car is in. The obvious culprit for the code is that the switch or the wiring to it is failing. I can see the gear display on the dashboard disappear when the error code comes up and/or the dash beeps a warning. Sometimes the dash display says it's in park while the car is being driven at speed.

The only thing that puzzles me is that when it's doing this, if I flick over to manual shift, the manual shift display always knows what gear it's in, which points to this switch still working ok.
Does anyone know if the manual shift uses a different switch or system to tell the BCM what gear the car is in?

Any other clues or suggestions?

As an aside, this fault causes lots of other systems to stop working, including the central locking, cruise control, parking sensors, left rear view mirror dip, all of which rely on knowing what gear is engaged.

Thanks all,